Menu
Highlighted
cfipro
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

ROAMING on 4G SIM, PLEASE READ !

All,

I have been a VM mobile customer for years, was (like everybody) on 3G sim, ROAMING in EU was never a problem with a travel pass, as long as you have done the usual : data roaming ON via your account online or phoning them before going abroad.

I switched to 4G sim when it became available, my son remained on 3G deal.

On my first trip to France with my new SIM, could not connect to DATA, son had no issues. On return phoned VM...said everything is set up "now" for your new 4G Sim, data will connect next time..

Did a second trip to France, then to Hungary soon after, still no DATA roaming; obviously, VM people apologised, and said, it is all reset now, next trip "I promise you", Data will connect for you. It never did, my son never had any problems ...,also, I NEVER had any problems connecting to data roaming on my VM 3G sim.

Researched this forum, and found a solution: I really do not understand why the solution had not yet by made as sticky:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Unable-to-use-data-roaming-abroad-despite-it-bein...

APN for Virgin mobile 4G SIM need to be set up manually !!!! Does look difficult to configure, but it is not:

Full APN settings below.

PS My children have had problems in the past which were simply because Virgin had failed to set up data roaming at their end even though it said it was set up on the account online.  So worth checking that first.

Name : Virgin UK
APN : goto.virginmobile.uk
Proxy : < Not Set >
Port : < Not Set >
Username : user
Password : blank
Server : < Not Set >
MMSC : http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy : 193.030.166.002
MMS Port : 8080
MMC : 234
MNC : 30
Authentication Type : < Not Set >
APN Type : < Not Set >

Hope this helps someone with the same problem as me. It is incredibly frustrating.

It did work for me straight away when reading this from abroad. I am on Android...dont know about iphones sorry.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS SOLUTION HAVE WORK FOR YOU. 

PLEASE, FORUM TEAM, MAKE THIS SOLUTION "STICKY/PUBLIC" IS THIS WORK...again it did for me straight away.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nannyfish
Just joined
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: ROAMING on 4G SIM, PLEASE READ !

You are a genius and a life saver. Just got to France, having been here last month with the same phone (galaxy s5) but a 3g sim. Got a 4g sim last month, got to France and no data. Called virgin, set up roaming, no data. Called up virgin, tried sim in daughters iphone, it worked but obviously not ideal. They did give me £10 credit and 2g extra for inconvenience. Using her iphone, searched for answers and found your solution. Bingo. Very happy family, using my phone as a wifi hotspot on a campsite. Thanks from all of us.
encoderX
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This is probably the majority but as many have posted despite correct apn settings, roaming enabled in the control panel, phone VM directly & getting confirmed & VM sending out the settings to customers, this isn't always the case.

Why are valuable paying customers not sent 4G sim's with correct apn settings & or sent when inserted.

Other networks don't have an issue half as much as VirginMedia Mobile.

This thread & post has been shared on social networking & sent directly to Tom Mockridge CEO of VirginMedia + shared with VM executive office.
0 Kudos
wheatley74
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I did all this stuff. Even phoned up but still nothing. Cancelling sim when I get back next week.
0 Kudos