Menu
Highlighted
Mick1878
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

ROAMING CHARGES USA - BEWARE!!!

A WARNING TO ANYONE GOING TO THE USA.

I have just returned from Boston and because I hadn't had a chance to turn off my roaming I was charged £42.00 on LANDING because my phone automatically connected to a network. Apparently this took up 8MB of data!!!

I had a text that said "Welcome to the USA" etc, and within a minute one that said "you've reached your £42 data limit" . HOW????  Both texts are timed at 20.09 on 07 October whilst I was waiting to get off the plane!

Don't bother ringing the call centre, they are not interested and just say it's a valid charge, and make it sound like it's your fault for not turning off roaming!!!! They don't even try to explain how you can use 8MB of data in under a minute whilst the phone is in your pocket and you're in a queue to disembark. I feel ripped off.

To say I'm fuming is an understatement.

0 Kudos
Mick1878
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: ROAMING CHARGES USA - BEWARE!!!

Oh and the very unhelpful call centre tell you there's no way to dispute it or write to anyone as there is no address to write to.

Brilliantly convenient.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: ROAMING CHARGES USA - BEWARE!!!

Hi Mick1878,

I'm sorry to hear you have been charged £42 for 8MB of data usage when you landed in the USA. The charge for data connection in the USA is £5 a MB, which is posted on our Help & Support online here: USA Roaming which can be found via our main Roaming Hub via www.virginmedia.com/help then under the Mobile option.

You can certainly dispute the charge and we do make our mailing address available via our Contact Us link at the bottom of this page, under Something Else>Make a Complaint Mobile.

We do recommend that you switch off your mobile data if you do not want to incur charges, which are always higher when roaming outside of the UK and EU.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos