Menu
grahamking
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Question for VM staff on early upgrades

Hi VM folks,

I've had a notification on my online account that I'm due an upgrade.  As it's more than 2 months early (contact is up 18th October), I just wanted to ask if an upgrade this early is restricted to taking out a new 24 month contract with a phone, or whether I can switch to a SIM only tariff, which at the moment is what I'm more likely to do?

Guessing it's the former as they probably wouldn't want me to ditch a contract altogether 2.5 months before it ends, but thought it worth asking on here first before chancing calling the (probably?) offshore call centre and end up sold an £50 iPhone contact...Smiley Surprised Smiley Wink

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Question for VM staff on early upgrades

Even if you upgrade your handset early, you stay on your current tariff until the end date and the new one starts for 24 months after that.

Ring 789 on 19th or 20th  September, inform them that you want to go onto a monthly rolling SIM-only tariff, and choose the deal you want. The old tariff will end on 18th October and you'll pay your last payment for it 1st November or thereabouts after having your new bundle already for a couple of weeks.

I'm on 600 mins 600 texts 1GB data for £7 which is more than I need in all three categories.

0 Kudos
grahamking
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

Even if you upgrade your handset early, you stay on your current tariff until the end date and the new one starts for 24 months after that.

Ring 789 on 19th or 20th  September, inform them that you want to go onto a monthly rolling SIM-only tariff, and choose the deal you want. The old tariff will end on 18th October and you'll pay your last payment for it 1st November or thereabouts after having your new bundle already for a couple of weeks.

I'm on 600 mins 600 texts 1GB data for £7 which is more than I need in all three categories.

Is that a new thing?  I've been with them for about 9 years, the last 3 upgrades were at least 1 month early (so at least 2 months before the end of the contract, as many as 4 once) and the new contract always started when I got the new phone, or at least on the next refresh date. Guessing it's a bit different now with the freestyle contracts though.

Sounds like your tariff would suit me down to the ground - currently on 500mb but been going over for 6 months now following a slight change in my daily commute seeing a bit more idle browsing creeping in! :-). I think the nearest equivalent is £10 though now, or £12 for an extra gig of data.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

grahamking wrote:

Is that a new thing?

Don't know - sorry. I've only ever upgraded once, 2½ years ago, and the new tariff and minimum term started on what would have been the 25th refresh date. I'm only going off personal experience.

Six months ago, I decided there was no point upgrading as there were no improvements in any handsets worth being tied down for another two years, so I just let it slide into a rolling SIM only contract. I can't find my deal anywhere on the store page, which makes me think that the sales team might be able to customise tariffs.

0 Kudos
grahamking
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Prompted by an email belated telling me that someone had replied to my post....Smiley Surprised

Investigated this with VM on the phone.  Last week, I was told that it was a glitch that I'd got the message that I was due an upgrade, and sure enough it went away after a day or so.

On Monday though the green banner popped up again, so I called again.  Apparently it is a genuine early upgrade from 19th August onwards, but it is specifically for upgrading to a new 24 month contract with a phone.  So for a new phone, it's an upgrade 1 month early, but to switch to SIM only I'd need to wait until the last month of the contract.  Which makes sense for them I guess!

0 Kudos