Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Query firmware update version (Samsung)

Is there a way to find out what software version is going to be sent to your phone?

I have a Galaxy S4 and have just looked (settings - more - about device - software update - check for updates) and it says an update is available, but doesn't say what it is.

I'm reluctant to do the update if I can't check to see if anyone as had problems with lost data, bricked phones etc. My handset seems to work fine so I don't want to update it if I'm not going to get any benefit but potentially risk breaking it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Query firmware update version (Samsung)

If you've got the unbranded S4 and you're already on Android 5.0.1 then it could be this update http://androidromupdate.com/2015/07/17/i9505xxuhoe3-galaxy-s4-gt-i9505-firmware-update/ which seems to be the latest one for the 'BTU' UK variant

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/GT-I9505/BTU/ 

EDIT: Saying that there does seem to be a newer build that has started to roll out, but Sammobile isn't listing it for UK handsets yet.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
maffa
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Surely if you plug your phone in to your pc and download the software update via the phones pc software you will be able to see what file is downloaded before you install the update?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

maffa wrote:

Surely if you plug your phone in to your pc and download the software update via the phones pc software you will be able to see what file is downloaded before you install the update?

You can but it doesn't always say what it's there to do - it just that there is an update.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've no need to connect my phone to my PC generally so I'd rather not install something on there just so I can find out a version number.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

I've no need to connect my phone to my PC generally so I'd rather not install something on there just so I can find out a version number.

From About Phone, what firmware is your S4 on at present? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

If you've got the unbranded S4 and you're already on Android 5.0.1 then it could be this update http://androidromupdate.com/2015/07/17/i9505xxuhoe3-galaxy-s4-gt-i9505-firmware-update/ which seems to be the latest one for the 'BTU' UK variant

It's showing Android version 4.2.2 so it looks like I'm way behind.

How likely is it to bork my settings or data if I do the upgrade?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

How likely is it to bork my settings or data if I do the upgrade?

When I had my S4 the jump from 4.4.2 to 5.0.1 was a bit of an issue. I ended up having to do a factory reset to resolve some of them - although there seems to be have been an update for the phone since I changed to the S6.

However, personally I found upgrading to 5.0.1 worth it - the S4 felt like a completely new and improved phone.

With you going from 4.2.2 all the way up through the updates, I definitely would back everything up before attempting to do it.

But as there are also security risks with older versions of Android, it's another reason to do it.

You can see a review of the latest version 5.0.1 vs 4.4.2 firmware here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QETNpd57kk

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Ben. My contacts are backed up via Google and my photos via dropbox so it should all be OK. I can just download something to back up my texts and I should be good to go.

The security updates seem to be the only reason to do this, though - the GUI changes aren't really anything I'm bothered about.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Did you go ahead with the update, or did you get stagefright. lol
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos