Menu
jpjeffery
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Pulsing blue light. nothing else

Thursday last week (30th June), my S6 stopped making sounds. i.e. I plugged in my headphones to listen to music, but nothing came forth.

So, I rebooted the phone.

...which made it worse.

The screen would display the Samsung splash screen, but then nothing. Just black. Only the notification light had any activity, and that just a blue light which would pulse from not very bright to a bit bright, and so on.

I managed to get to the recovery screen, after first getting to the 'Warning! Downloading a custom OS can damage your phone' screen then leaving it until the battery ran flat. But even the last resort of choosing 'Reset to Factory Defaults' made no change the the phone's behaviour.

Fortunately it's still in warranty, so VM sent the bag containing a 'phambulance' box, and I passed the package on to the Post Office on the Saturday (effectively the Monday as I'd missed the last collection).

The repaired phone came back yesterday (Friday 8th July). The phone's screen had a slight nick in it when I posted it off, and returned with a new screen. Other points of superficial damage were there so it's certainly my phone but with a replacement screen.

All was working nicely, until I went to bed and tested an alarm...and got no sounds! So I rebooted the phone, and got sounds.

The next morning - this morning - I called a friend of mine. No sounds (when I saw him later he confirmed he couldn't hear me either). So I rebooted the phone...and got the black screen and pulsing blue notification light again!

It seems to the me that the Samsung engineer only replaced the screen, but without fixing the source problem.

I called VM again this evening, who suggested going through the same routine of repair again. I asked for it to be replaced instead. I might as well have not said that at all. It's like the staff (in India?) really don't care, as she just continued following the 'Send it off for repair' script. I find this lack of customer service focus really distressing.

It's all very disappointing.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pulsing blue light. nothing else

On any Android phone experiencing such funnies the first thing to do is to try and format/clean the system cache partition. Especially if there has been a recent system update. This is not the same as a factory reset so you shouldn't lose any data. How to do it is make, model and Android version dependent.

In your case it might be a long shot but it won't cost you anything to have a go. For a Galaxy S6 the procedure should be as below. Getting the timing right at the start is the tricky bit, it's easy to press the buttons for too long. So don't give up if your first attempt doesn't get the "Recovery" menu 

Power off the Galaxy S6.
Press and hold Power, Volume Up and the Home button.
Release the buttons immediately you see a screen with an Android icon on it.
Wait for about 30 secs and the "Recovery" menu should appear.
Use the volume buttons to scroll to and highlight "Wipe Cache Partition". Tap the Power button to select.
Be patient as the process might take some time.
You'll see a message in yellow at the bottom of the screen when the process is complete.
If "Reboot System Now" is not highlighted then use the Volume Up/Down to highlight "Reboot System Now". Tap Power to confirm.
The phone miht take longer than normal to restart for this startup. Thereafter it should be normal.

jpjeffery
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Enceladus1. That was one of the first things I did last week. No change in the phone's behaviour.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sadly if the phone is over a couple of weeks old Virgin have th right and its normal practice to send the phone back for repair a second time if this fails or resolve the issue, they MAY then be replaced at their descretion.  The contract does say they can repair it sadly

jpjeffery
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you're right. It just irritated me that she ignored what I'd said.

It didn't help that Samsung (who I'm assuming were responsible for the repair) didn't actually get it right first time. I mean they must have (surely!) the documentation that covers the blue-pulsing notification light.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin use. 3rd party repair org, not the oem sadly.

0 Kudos
jpjeffery
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes that is sad. The reason I thought it was Samsung was because of the QC card that came back with it and which had the Samsung logo all over it. I guess that's no guarantee though.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

J0hn wrote:

Sadly if the phone is over a couple of weeks old Virgin have th right and its normal practice to send the phone back for repair a second time if this fails or resolve the issue, they MAY then be replaced at their descretion.  The contract does say they can repair it sadly

The contract may say that, but it does not affect your statutory rights, which are determined by the Supply of Goods and Services Act which came into effect 1 Oct 2015. If the handset or service develops a fault in the first 30 days, the consumer has the right to demand a replacement handset or total refund. If the handset or service develops a fault after those 30 days but before 6 months, the consumer can reasonably expect the phone service supplier to try to put it right (i.e. repair). They only get one chance to do this, and if they fail the consumer can still get their refund/replacement as they wish.

If the phone develops a fault as a result of an update to the operating system or software bundled by the manufacturer or the mobile service provider then that is treated the same as if the phone has a hardware fault.

If a total refund happens under these conditions, it also nullifies the contract. You only need to pay for any out-of-contract charges such as calls outside your allowance.

None of what I have said above is applicable to business contracts.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The last time I mentioned the Supply of goods act on here I got in trouble

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

enlli wrote:

The last time I mentioned the Supply of goods act on here I got in trouble

That surprises me. I mention it all the time and nobody has said anything to me...

0 Kudos