Menu
JoelF
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Problem with data pass in Germany

Is there a problem with data passes in Germany? I haven't had problems with this in other EU countries, but the last time I was in Germany I could not get my data pass to work at all.

Now my son is in Germany, and he has bought a £5 (250 MB) data pass, but it isn't working. Everything else is working fine. Roaming is set up, international call bar is off, data roaming is on, but ineffective. He can use wifi but not mobile data.

Has anyone else had this problem, and do they know a solution? Otherwise we may have to ask for a refund.

In my case I was using android, but my son is using an iPhone 5s. Is there anything special you have to do on iphones in addition to turning on data roaming?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with data pass in Germany

Hi JoelF,

the amount of posts on this subject suggest that Virgin are having problems activating data roaming on some people's accounts.

I think that the best thing to do would be to phone and speak to someone to ensure that data roaming is active on the account.

From the UK: 789 or 0345 6000 789.

from abroad: +447953 967 967

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JoelF

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you and your son have had using the data roaming service abroad.

Rest assured we're not aware of any specific issues with this in Germany.

I just wanted to check if he'd been able to get this sorted out since you posted your message or if he still requires some assistance with this?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
JoelF
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

My son is back now. I phoned 789 and was told that data roaming was turned off at Virgin's side for that account: next time I'll sort this out in advance. I have been offered a refund for the unused data pass (thanks!).

This doesn't quite explain why data roaming worked on my own account with a data pass in Sweden without me having to call 789, but didn't work for me when I bought a data pass in Germany (for use in Germany). I still think Germany might be a special case somehow. On the other hand, it is possible that something changed in between my trips to Sweden and Germany, and that is all 3-4 years ago now.

By the way, does it matter which EU country you are in when you buy your data pass? I think my son may have been in Belgium (on the way to Germany) when he bought the data pass.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JoelF,

Thank you for taking the time to message the team, It's always great to travel and especially in Europe Smiley Happy

I would say that as long as data roaming ins enabled before travel it's usually plain sailing from there. As far as I know the country you are staying in when purchasing the data pack should affect the way we work, I would only say that the countries network would be different in which I have no way of looking into I'm afraid.

A lot has happened in the last 3-4 years so it's difficult to say. I hope you've enjoyed your trip and please let us know if you or a member of the family decide to venture out again, I'm glad that we've bee able to refund the amount and help that way Smiley Happy

Take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos