Menu
Colfari
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Problem with Virgin SIM in car

My Dad had been unable to transfer the contacts from his phone to the infotainment system in his new VW Polo. The guy at the VW dealership couldn't even manage it.

I tried swapping out his Virgin SIM for my Mum's Orange SIM and this allowed his contacts to be transferred.

What could it be about the Virgin SIM that prevents this from working?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with Virgin SIM in car

Try saving the contacts to your phone rather than the sim

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yep, as stated, I would transfer them to the phone first. 

In reality, keeping contacts on the SIM card is old hat these days and is limited on the amount you can store and the details.

0 Kudos
Colfari
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No, the contacts did come from the phone, it was just the swapping out the Virgin SIM for an Orange one that allowed the transfer to happen, there were no contacts coming off a SIM in this scenario.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Colfari wrote:

No, the contacts did come from the phone, it was just the swapping out the Virgin SIM for an Orange one that allowed the transfer to happen, there were no contacts coming off a SIM in this scenario.

Well, that's got me baffled 

0 Kudos
Colfari
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No-one have any ideas on this?

Would a replacement SIM be worth a try, or is he going to have to switch providers if he wants this to work properly?

I can't imagine this is a problem  that a lot of people with Virgin SIMs have had or we would've heard about it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colfari,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. So sorry to hear your Dad has been having trouble.

I'm not familiar with that particular system but I have a Virgin Mobile with a different manufacturer set-up and I'm able to do it. When connected via Bluetooth I'm then able to sync the contacts from the system itself. I'm sure the Volkswagen guy knew what he was doing though.

It's strange how swapping the SIM card allowed this to work because Bluetooth doesn't require a SIM to work. If you've got the contacts stored to the handset then you can try removing the SIM card all together and switching the phone back on and try it this way.

I'm not sure how a SIM card will help but it may be worth a try. You can call the team on 789 from a Virgin Mobile, 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone. Alternatively, you can speak to the web chat team.

I'm curious to know how it all goes so please keep me updated.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos