Menu
Wallberry49
Just browsing
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Premium text received

Help! My Virgin mobile bill has just come showing £18 of extra use, shown as 4 calls 'Premium text received' and showing text number 700046094, coming at weekly intervals on 1, 8, 15 and 22 January. What are these? What have I done to deserve them? How do I stop them?

Disappointed that I can't email Virgin Mobile to discuss this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premium text received

Hi Wallberry49.

even if you could email Virgin, they aren't able to block these premium texts for you.

Premium texts are a subscription based service, providing some sort of content such as news, games, competitions etc.

You will at some point have needed to sign up (perhaps you did so accidentally, e.g. not ticking a box or something).

Texting back “STOP ALL” should end the service.

If that doesn’t work you can complain to PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20
They are the UK regulator for premium rate SMS.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Wallberry49
Just browsing
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick reply, AlexKid.

I have a problem though. I have just come to India today (for a 4-month stay) and for some reason my Virgin SIM card isn't receiving any service, so I can't use it (even if I wanted to). Well, I would like to use it to send STOP to this 700046094 offending number. Have you any suggestion as to what I could do?

AlexKid wrote:

Hi Wallberry49.

even if you could email Virgin, they aren't able to block these premium texts for you.

Premium texts are a subscription based service, providing some sort of content such as news, games, competitions etc.

You will at some point have needed to sign up (perhaps you did so accidentally, e.g. not ticking a box or something).

Texting back “STOP ALL” should end the service.

If that doesn’t work you can complain to PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20
They are the UK regulator for premium rate SMS.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wallberry49,

you could try emailing the company & ask them to unsubscribe you.

A quick Google of the number suggests that it may belong to quiz2win.co.uk. - But please do your own search & confirm.

Good luck,

0 Kudos
Wallberry49
Just browsing
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

AlexKid wrote:

Hi Wallberry49,

you could try emailing the company & ask them to unsubscribe you.

A quick Google of the number suggests that it may belong to quiz2win.co.uk. - But please do your own search & confirm.

Good luck,

Thanks again. Trouble is, there isn't an email address for Virgin Mobile. I have just found an email address for Virgin Media, and have asked them what to do. I feel helpless away from home and unable to operate my mobile account. I may instruct my bank to cancel the direct debit, as I think Virgin must take responsibility for this: it is clear from the forum that other customers have suffered the same fraud, and yet Virgin seem to be doing nothing are presumably paying this fraudulent company for the text, and then charging their customers. This isn't good.

0 Kudos
Wallberry49
Just browsing
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - I misread what you said. Yes, I'll see if there's a way of emailing the company (not Virgin).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wallbery49,

you are quite correct, Virgin are paying these companies on your behalf.

It is not Virgins fault, how are Virgin to know that you do not wish to subscribe to whatever service is being offered?

If you have not subscribed to, do not want it and are being fraudulently mis sold the service. Then you need to complain to PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20
They are the UK regulator for premium rate SMS and the ones who may be able to do something about it.