Menu
Janicewhite
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Premium text received

Hi I've received two unsolicited premium texts from 700038379.  I don't remember receiving either of them but may have just deleted them without reading.  I've read other posts about this which is why I'm posting so that the number can be checked and added to the list.  I shall also try phonepayplus and if I get any more will try forwarding to 7726. Both are things other people have suggested. It's scary I've never experienced anything like this before I can't afford it. I don't want to change my number and that is no guarantee it would prevent it happening again.

Please help it's robbery and it doesn't reflect well on Virgin either

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Premium text received

Hi Janicewhite

Premium texts are a subscription based service where they provide some sort of content in return. i.e news, games, competitions etc.

These are not provided by Virgin but rather a 3rd party. They charge Virgin the amount to which we then pass the charge to you.

Now you know how they work! Lets see how we can stop them

Changing your number is always a last resort for us because we understand how important numbers are to people.

The texts messages you receive would either have a "short code" or you can simply reply with the word

STOP ALL

to end the service

if you get stuck and cannot stop them then you can complain to PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20.

they are the UK regulator for premium rate SMS

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Janice,

with regard to Facebook notifications, you can turn them off. Here is a link from Facebook telling you how: Notification Basics & Settings

I've disabled them on my phone just because I found them annoying, never cost me though Smiley Surprised

If texting back “STOP ALL” hasn't worked on the other number & you can't find who the company is to contact them. I think that your best way forward is to contact PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20 (UK regulator for premium rate SMS) & see if they can help you.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Janicewhite

Premium texts are a subscription based service where they provide some sort of content in return. i.e news, games, competitions etc.

These are not provided by Virgin but rather a 3rd party. They charge Virgin the amount to which we then pass the charge to you.

Now you know how they work! Lets see how we can stop them

Changing your number is always a last resort for us because we understand how important numbers are to people.

The texts messages you receive would either have a "short code" or you can simply reply with the word

STOP ALL

to end the service

if you get stuck and cannot stop them then you can complain to PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20.

they are the UK regulator for premium rate SMS

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

painten1
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Premium rate texts are certainly not all subscription based, they are often spam. The vast majority of the thousands of complaints do phone payplus are spam texts by unscrupulous companies who buy your number. They use tempting things like Quizzes, big prizes, competitions, surveys, even apps all collect and sell your number on to these spammers. Half the time you don't consent to the resale of your details as they hide this fact deep within their terms and conditions.

If any service is found to be deliberately misleading to obtain your number YOU ARE entitled to a refund.

PLUS - you can get any operator to bar all premium rate calls or texts. They have to if you demand.

All info obtained from Phonepayplus
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

painten1 wrote:
PLUS - you can get any operator to bar all premium rate calls or texts. They have to if you demand.

Do you have a link for that?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

painten1 wrote:

Do you have a link for that?

The only info on that I can find is on their FAQ page, it say's:

"Can I block premium rate services completely?
This varies from network to network. You need to ask your phone network about the possibility to bar all premium rate calls or texts from being made from your phone."
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
painten1
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's on Phonepayplus.org.uk

It also says to NEVER EVER respond if you suspect these texts are spam, as stop or stop all just alerts them he number is active.

It's a minefield. If you didn't clearly opt in to these, or you find you were tricked, get your money back!
0 Kudos
painten1
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Moneysavingexpert.com has an excellent article on these as do which but the telephone preference service says all numbers reported must be blocked. This however dosent help when they change their number Smiley Sad

The tps advices against responding to absoloutly all unsolicited texts, they state there's no evidence they listen and you will only incur you even more premium rate charges with no guarantee they will stop.

Just report them, and claim your money back is all I can find Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
painten1
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The advice seems to alter depending on which site you read, telephone preference service says never engage as most do t listen and u only end up with more premium rate charges  plus your own networks standard rate, others says always reply STOP ALL! 

I have since read on money saving expert that the networks don't bend over backwards to ban these premium rate numbers as its a good earner for them, however, they do have a responsibility, if u ask for a number to be blocked for harassment, such a criminal offence cannot be ignored and policy or not, they'd have to block that number, but that's just 1 number out of 1000s

the days of people signing up for subscription services such as regular ringtones belong in the 90s, most of these are unsolicited I'm sure most would agree,  so, if the costs are adding up, there is clear guidance on how to reclaim these costs which is something,

from my own experience, everytime I've rang virgin about these, they have removed these charges immediately, so that's always another avenue.

how did we ever live without caller display ay! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Janicewhite
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It hasn't stopped I'm now being charged an extra £9.10 for another premium rate service which according to Google is a message saying someone has updated their facebook status.  I've no idea how to stop these it's not just a matter of getting a refund I need it to stop and I don't know how to do it.  I'm starting to hate my phone.

Any ideas anyone the new number is 22660003

thank you

Janice

0 Kudos
painten1
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Janice,

Firstly have you tried virgin Nd stating you are being harraed by these? Don't hold back, harassment is illegal and by law anything over than 2 unwantted texts or calls carry an offense. So if you haven't already ring virgin and lay in down thick. It would be highly itresponsible for them to refuse your request under the circumstances.

Depending if you receive numerous texts or calls from the same person/company the police can get involved if it's a uk based company. They take harrasment seriously from 2 of my own experiences.

At least with calls when the new law comes in Bd they can't call using. Withheld number yiu can block all withheld calls plus they will loose their animity so much easier for the powers that be to take action.

Your best bet is to get on the blower to Virgin, and really push for this block, no one should put up with harrasment. Even try tuning the police first, they can advise you on what to say to the phone company.

I wish you all the best
0 Kudos