Menu
J0hn
Super solver
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Premium text charges - Help here

i cant take the credit for this, but as Teabag posted the link first he can Smiley Happy

If you have been charged and Virgin won't help pop the number in here:

http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/your-bill-explained/third-p...   

Unfortunately a lot of people subscribe to premium-rate texts by mistake – for example, by failing to tick or untick a box on a website or replying to a message.

This means you should be even more careful when entering competitions or registering for a service.

Think of your phone like your credit card - if you give out your number, you could be charged.

Unless you're really confident you know how a website will use your number, don’t enter it online.

Quizzes, prizes or competitions

Don't be tempted by - it probably is.

Something that claims you could 'win a new tablet or phone' may seem tempting but it may not be all it promises to be.

When you come across adverts claiming you can win prizes, make sure you read the small print before entering.

Installing apps

Some mobile apps including games can send text (SMS) messages from your phone to a premium rate number.

Before you click download make sure you check what the app really does.

Don’t download apps from non-trusted app stores and always check the list of ‘app permissions’ before you download.

Using short text message numbers

Mobile marketing text messages often come from short numbers usually beginning with 5,6,7,or 8 – for example something like 7474.

Texting to these shorter mobile numbers - call mobile shortcodes - can cost more.

These numbers are often used to pay for new features in apps, to donate to charity, to enter competitions and to download games.

You may see these numbers in promotions asking you to text a certain word to a number or, you may receive promotional texts asking you to reply to them.

Be aware that if you do text these numbers, you may be charged a premium and you may also be signing up to unwanted text messages, premium or otherwise.

Also (copied from Which, all their rights apply)

J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premium text charges - Help here

If you are being spammed by text then try this

operators now use 7726 as the number to use to report spam texts messages, which is free of charge.

You'll get a message back when you text this number asking you to send a second text with the actual number that texted you.
0 Kudos
BandP
Settling in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John,

I think they're connected to a couple of 'free' apps I downloaded for my grandson.  I have now deleted these apps - should that do it or am I still at risk.

I have followed the link you provided, thank you.  Do I have to contact oxygen8 with the details and can/will they block them?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi BandP

If you follow the link below to an EE forum thread, scroll down and you will find a email address for Oxygen 8 customer care.
https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Community-Feedback/Oxygen-8-communications-scam/td-p/241593
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

They can and should if you contact them, no promises on a refund
0 Kudos