Menu
missust4
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Premium rate text

Hi, been having trouble with the +44 numbers for texts. My son has just been charged premium rate for texts to a number beginning with this prefix. Now looking at the previous posts, most people have been charged 15p, my son has been charged £15.00 for one text!!! I have plenty of numbers with this prefix and don't get charged anything different. Excuse from Virgin was because of the prefix but when you add a number when someone had rung you that isn't in your contacts, it automatically adds with the prefix. Me thinks Virgin is telling porkies judging from a lot of these posts. I wouldn't bother at 15p but £15, ye gods man!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premium rate text

Hi missust4,

+44 is the international dialing code (omitting the "0" before the number).

Calling or texting a number starting with +44 rather than "0" shouldn't cost you more within the UK (the recipient may receive a charge if they are abroad).

As you say that your son has been charged £15 are you sure that this wasn't to receive a text or for contact with a premium (subscription - news, gambling, adult e.t.c rate service)?

Premium rate text services do charge (nothing to do with Virgin) & this sounds more like one of those cases.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
missust4
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premium rate text

Hi, no it was just a text to one of his school friends. Thankfully they said they will refund which kind of makes me wonder that it's their mistake.

0 Kudos