Menu
njc519
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Premium Text charges

I keep receiving premium text charges on my account for £4.50 every week. I have spoken with customer services who weren't that helpful and kept telling me to text STOP or STOP ALL to the number, even though I kept telling her we weren't receiving text to reply to and the number 700046108 isn't recognised when I try to text it.

I am staggered at the lack of action by Virgin Mobile is stopping this happening, which having tread through the forums is becoming an on-going problem for many.

So come on Virgin Mobile, do something about it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premium Text charges

It's not Virgin's place to do something about it. The number is yours, so it's your responsibility to fix it if there's anyone abusing it.

If you think I'm wrong, try cancelling the service and getting a PAC so that you can move to another provider. Do you think the problem will go away?

If you read some of the other forum posts that describe the problem, you'll see your first port of call is phonepayplus.org.uk - they have a number checker so you can find out who is charging you. The number you quote isn't on their database, so you'll need to ring them on 0800 500 212.

Hope you get it sorted.

0 Kudos
njc519
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Of course if I cancel my account it will go away...why wouldn't it?

I have tried phonepayplus.org.uk  and as you correctly stated the numbers isn't on there. I have completed an online query with them and that failed.

Interestingly, I have pushed my case through Virgin media again and they have emailed me this morning to try and sort this issue out.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

njc519 wrote:

Of course if I cancel my account it will go away...why wouldn't it?

Because your number belongs to you - it's your property. If you take it with you to (say) GiffGaff, you'll still get the premium texts.

Of course, if you're not bothered about keeping your number, why not just ring 789 and ask them for a new phone number? It's free if you only do it once per year, and it will get rid of the premium text problem immediately.

0 Kudos
njc519
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Why don't Virgin tell you that you can change your number once per year? I have endless conversations with them and not once was this mentioned....thank you for bringing that to my attention.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps one of the @ForumTeam can come along and describe the procedure for getting your number changed...?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi njc519,

Thanks for your posts Smiley Happy

Regarding your number change, this is only in place for harassment purposes and not something that we would advertise as a regular offering from ourselves. We consider a number change a last resort to any ongoing harrassment.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply @Mat_H

So what is Virgin's advice a customer who is receiving expensive texts and has already tried "STOP" "STOP ALL" etc to no avail?

Doesn't that count as harassment?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gorf,

Thanks for coming back to me Smiley Happy

In this scenario, we'd be more than happy to change your number but we'd suggest giving us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we can do all we can to prevent this from happening.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
njc519
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am pleased to report that Virgin Media have been extremely proactive after I pushed this matter further. The charges have now stopped and they even reimbursed the unauthorised Premium Text charges. They also said that 'should those Premium Text charges start again, then then will change my number'. Thank you Virgin Media. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos