Menu
jimbojames
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Premium Text Messages

Hi Everyone,

My very first post so I hope it makes sense

I hope somebody can give me a answer to my problem. Over Thurs/Fri I received 17 premium text messages that I did not want or ask for to my Pay as you go mobile. My credit was under £1 and no money was taken and I have followed Virgin Media's advice about texting STOP and phoning the two companies in question to ask them to stop sending them to me, which they say has been done. However my question to three different people at the call centre has been less than helpful. The text messages are normally charged at £4-50 and I asked if I top up will some/all of it be sent to pay for theses text messages I did not ask for and which were sent before I asked them to stop. I have been told by three different members of staff... maybe, possibly and I do not know,  which is annoying because this can not be the first time the question has been asked 

The call centre staff have made it clear that this is not Virgin Media's problem and any charges need to be taken up with the firm sending out the text messages. If I am to be charged £4-50 for each of the 17 messages(some came three at a time) it comes to quite a large total.

Does anyone know the answer or have any advice about my problem?

The companies in question have no idea where they got my number from and neither do I

Thanks

Jimbo 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
khenryashley
Rising star
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Premium Text Messages

See this thread. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Premium-Texts/td-p/3143565

I've had six in the last week. Fuming that nothing can be done by Virgin.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

can you not just block the senders, in your phone(s)

or are you charged even if you have blocked receipt ?

android supports various blocking methods:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/block-text-messages-sms-android/

.... If the Android’s built-in text blocking service doesn’t work for you, then don’t worry, Google Play Store is loaded with SMS blocking apps. You can easily find an SMS blocking app that fulfills your needs perfectly.....

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if you don't want to name them here then google " name of company + scam" or "name of company premium texts" for feedback

is someone maliciously adding your number to competition entries. I would have thought that such sign-ups had to be sent from the mobile in question to prevent such nasty activity ?

do you use a robo form or similar auto-fill add on on your PC or does IE./ firefox/ Chrome have permission to auto fill iorms I'd check and remove your mobile number from any such places where it may have been inadvertently stored

I disabled all of chrome's "let me remember that for you" features as allegedly it is horribly insecure

and maybe do a full windows search of your C: drive with your mobile number as the search term

cybmole
Community elder
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

http://who-called.co.uk/Number/88311

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/im-being-charged-for-unwanted-premium-rate-text-messag...

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-stop-unwanted-premium-rate-texts

...if you believe the text message is spam, you can report this directly to your mobile phone provider.

All operators now use 7726 as the number to use to report spam texts messages, which is free of charge. 

You'll get a message back when you text this number asking you to send a second text with the actual number that texted you....

jimbojames
Tuning in
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If I report the messages to 7726 do I send all 18 or just one from each number 88311 and 82288

and what about the three I got in 9 seconds on Thursday, do I send all three?

The 18 messages are three different ones sent multiple times

Thanks for the reply and helpful information

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i have never used the spam reporting system, but hopefully it is self explanatory. 

I'd report each unique number once to begin with ,& see what the follow up instructions tell you to do next

cybmole
Community elder
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

maybe you can ask VM to assign you a new mobile phone number , after reporting all the spam to them.

bit of a last report, but it;'s what you do when an email address becomes unusable

I have no idea of the rules for changing phone numbers though. technically, i'ts just a different Sim card to insert, but contractually ?

a quick check on google suggest most if not all mobile operators have procedures for this e.g.this from vodaphone: ( links are for Vodaphone, not VM )

If you wish to change your phone number, you'll need to contact us. There is an admin fee for changing your number.

If you are receiving spam or nuisance calls, we can help you deal with these problems without needing to change your number. See ournuisance calls and texts support page for more information.

All Replies
khenryashley
Rising star
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

See this thread. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Premium-Texts/td-p/3143565

I've had six in the last week. Fuming that nothing can be done by Virgin.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

can you not just block the senders, in your phone(s)

or are you charged even if you have blocked receipt ?

android supports various blocking methods:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/block-text-messages-sms-android/

.... If the Android’s built-in text blocking service doesn’t work for you, then don’t worry, Google Play Store is loaded with SMS blocking apps. You can easily find an SMS blocking app that fulfills your needs perfectly.....

0 Kudos
jimbojames
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi and thanks for the replies

What worries me is that nobody at Virgin Media seems to know if I add £10 credit will it be taken away from me and if I add another £10 will that go as well until the 15 text messages at £4-50 have been paid for. And do I have to claim every time I top up? It is an old phone with no internet on it, its on an old tariff which is not used very much but has an excellent phone number which I do not want to lose and only a handful of people (Including Virgin Media) know the number.

A Typical message says...

Free Message. Reply SHOP to 82288 to confirm your entry to the Shopping Voucher Prize Draw. Please ignore if not requested.

Thanks again

Jimbo

0 Kudos
jimbojames
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Just to add some more information that Virgin Media were not interested in... Twice on Thursday I was sent the same text message within seconds of each other. By that I mean 11:52:35  11:52:40 and 11:52:44 and the same later in the day.  

Is this something that can be done and has anybody else been bombarded this way?

Sorry about the extra questions

Jimbo

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

...are you charged even if you have blocked receipt ?

Yes

0 Kudos
jimbojames
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have spoken again to Virgin Media and the people who sent the 17 text messages in 30 hours.

The person at Virgin Media again had no Idea if I top up my Pay as You go phone the money will be taken for the text messages. They advised me to top up £5 and if the money is taken I need to claim it back from the people who sent the text. They also said I may need to claim 17 times if they take the money every time I top up by £5.

I also called the two companies again and the first one says no money will be taken and they got my number from a competition for an Xbox. But he said the form was not filled in fully so that was why a got a "Free Message" text with no charge. I asked if that was the same for the second company and was told I had to phone them even though they are based at the same place.He had no answer to my question about the same message being sent three times in 9 seconds on Thursday.

The second company again said I would not be charged for the "Free Message" and they got my number from a competition for a Tablet and maybe I clicked on a "pop up" message on my phone. This is strange as it is a very old phone its not android and internet has never been used.

They both said I would not be charged and the only way to find out is to top up and see if they take the money. I do not trust what they say and I hope I do not have to follow Virgin Media's advice about making 17 claims if they take £4-50 every time I top up by £5.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if you don't want to name them here then google " name of company + scam" or "name of company premium texts" for feedback

is someone maliciously adding your number to competition entries. I would have thought that such sign-ups had to be sent from the mobile in question to prevent such nasty activity ?

do you use a robo form or similar auto-fill add on on your PC or does IE./ firefox/ Chrome have permission to auto fill iorms I'd check and remove your mobile number from any such places where it may have been inadvertently stored

I disabled all of chrome's "let me remember that for you" features as allegedly it is horribly insecure

and maybe do a full windows search of your C: drive with your mobile number as the search term

jimbojames
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Its a really old phone so signing up for competitions is impossible and  I have never used the number for anything on the computer. I have always used my Virgin Media contract number when a phone number is needed online. So either someone is maliciously adding my number to competition entries or they just typed my number in to see if it is active. I rarely get called by anybody I do not know and before these 17 texts in 30 hours I rarely get spam text messages either. 

0 Kudos
jimbojames
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Despite being told on Friday and again this morning, that no more messages will be sent, I have just been sent another text from 88311.

So i will be back on the phone tomorrow morning

0 Kudos