Menu
SashD
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Premium Text Frustration!!

I’ve been with Virgin Mobile for years and never had a problem that wasn’t easily sorted out until now.  I’ve had a 30 day rolling sim with inclusive texts that’s worked just fine. 3 weeks ago I changed to an IPhone and ordered the relevant sim card. When I checked my account I found 15p charges against certain numbers which had previously been included on my old sim. Rang 789, they kindly deleted the charges from my account, told me that they were made because the numbers in question started ’44’ and so flagged up as Premium Texts, and advised me to change all the contacts in my phone that started ’44’ to ’07’. I’ve done this - there are no longer any ’44’ numbers in my contact list.  I checked my account again last night and found these charges were still being applied as my numbers were still being recorded as ’44’ numbers. I rang 789 again, and they again deleted the charges, but were unable to offer any explanation as to why these texts are being treated as Premium when they never were before on my old sim, other than saying 'it's standard practise'. They did suggest I ring once a month before my billing date to get these charges removed but to be honest, that’s not an ideal solution for me - I’d like to just pay for the service I’ve always had and not faff about remembering to ring, and pay hefty charges if I forget!

I really don’t want to leave Virgin, but if this can’t get sorted I don’t see I’m going to have much choice. There are 3 other networks being used by various family members who don’t have their ’44’ numbers treated as Premium Texts. Best of all,  my husband is also on Virgin - and he texts ’44’ numbers no problem - no charges for him!! Which sort of makes me doubt the 'standard practise' quote.....

Reading through this forum I can see a few people have had the same problem - has anyone managed to find a happy ending?

Thanks for reading x

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Premium Text Frustration!!

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for coming back with the information so quickly.

I'd like to get this sorted.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) to get this looked into for you.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos

All Replies
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi SashD,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear you've been charged for premium rate texts when sending a standard SMS. Appreciate this is frustrating.

I'd like to help you get this sorted.

Did you change your mobile number when you upgraded to an iPhone?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
SashD
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen,

No, my number didn't change - I had a new SIM to fit the IPhone, and a new bundle which gave me increased Internet usage.

Thanks, Sarah
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for coming back with the information so quickly.

I'd like to get this sorted.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) to get this looked into for you.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos
Huxley101
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have had this problem with premium rate texts to a normal number for over 6 months. The phone is my 17 year old son who did not come home one night as he feared he had run up a bill of over140 pounds.. I have gone overdrawn due to this issue I have had new SIM card still not happening . I asked as a good will gesture after spending hours on the phone and found into financial hardship if my son could recieve a new handset... Fell on deaf ears and customer services did not seem to care
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Huxley101,

I've replied to your other thread here regarding this.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos