Menu
petewild
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Premium Rate Text Scam - How to block

Recently received a message saying I had subscribed to 'Thebestfunnyvidz' at £4.50 a week, with a contact number.

Didn't initially think much of it but after checking my mobile usage online and had two entries titled 'Premium Text Received' and each with a charge of £4.50 

Rang the contact number on the message and (after a probably very expensive hold period) I got through to a very unhelpful operator who agreed to unsubscribe me.

I also messaged STOP to the number.

This is obviously a scam, because I certainly never subscribed to that service and certainly never agreed to pay the robbing ********* £4.50 a week !!

Then rang Virgin asking for all premium text messages to be blocked, both send and receive, only to be told this is not possible.

Is this the case?   Do I have to leave my phone and my account open to this risk??

Also, have to say the Virgin person sounded about as uninterested as it was possible to get !! 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premium Rate Text Scam - How to block

There is a lot of this going on linked to clicking competitions and stuff on facebook, they ask for you Mobile number Wham you've got an expensive bill every month, first check the text history see if there is a text to a six digit number starting with 6 normally, if so text STOP or STOP ALL to the six digit number, its pointless to reply to the number the text arrives on as it would be easy to stop then.

If that fails you need to try a bit harder

Try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you contact information for the company such as email or phone number and contact them directly.

Or this site PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services if you think you been tricked into subscribing.
0 Kudos
petewild
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cheers JOhn,

There was no out going text, just the initial one from them saying I had subscribed, and to add insult to injury, they had taken one payment a week before they even sent the initial message !

I guess I'm just feeling annoyed and without being over dramatic, robbed.  Didn't help when the extremely uninterested Virgin 'helpline' person suggested it was my fault.  Which of course it could have been without me realising it, but that's not what you want to hear is it?

Oh well, if they cant block them, I guess all I can do is wait for another week and see, it's going to do one of two things, hopefully nothing, or I lose another £4.50

Thanks though for taking the time to reply

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi petewild,

Sorry to hear you have had some issues with premium text messages on your account. I see you have already tried to resolve the situation yourself which is great. 

Lets see how you get on with what you have done. More than happy to be of assistance if you need anything else. 

Many Thanks 

Mike

0 Kudos
fear
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

surely there must be a way of blocking my children's phones from texting premium numbers!?  My son recently text a fortune telling number that told him he would be a famous actor and a billionaire by the time he was 30.... he was delighted... I was robbed of 10 quid!!  clever!!

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

fear wrote:

surely there must be a way of blocking my children's phones from texting premium numbers!?  My son recently text a fortune telling number that told him he would be a famous actor and a billionaire by the time he was 30.... he was delighted... I was robbed of 10 quid!!  clever!!

For blocking outgoing premium calls/texts, you can log into the online accounts and make sure "premium call barring" is turned on for your children's accounts.

It would be: log into the online account > about my plan > manage my services > then make sure "premium call barring" is on :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos