Menu
hansi
Superfast
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Possible scam text

I just received a text from VM to say that there could be some issues with my account and asking me to ring an 0800 number. When I did so, i was asked for my full password. Surely they shouldn't be able to ask for this as we are constantly told  not to give out passwords over the phone, Why don't they ask for random letters? Anyway, I just checked my account online and everything seems to be in order. And my wife tells me she has just received the same text. The number was 0080  952 2025. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible scam text

Recorded as a Virgin number associated with accounts.

If worried give 789 a ring and see if they can throw any light on the call.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Call 789 on the mobile and check that way, you were correct in being cautious
0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone. Got it sorted out now with help from a friendly VM lady.

0 Kudos
cassie175
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hansi - was there a problem with your account? Was it a genuine text from Virgin?

my daughter just got the same text. She did NOT ring the number, she phoned 789 who said her direct debit had been stopped and did she want to set up a new one. She said she would check with her bank first. They said the direct debit had NOT been stopped.

When she thought back to the call to 789 she realised they told her that her password hint was "mothers maiden name". She would NEVER use my maiden name as a password.

Is it possible that when she called 789 from her mobile that she actually connected to a scammer? Even though she did not click the number in the text?

0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cassie. I think it was a genuine text but  after I had replied to it, I didn't give out my password and then posted on here. A lady from VM sent me a pm and investigated it for me, and after a few messages, she phoned me. Apparently what happened was that I had changed banks, and although VM had confirmed the new details of my DD, when I checked my list of DD's there were four shown for Virgin Media instead of two. VM confirmed to me that two of them were inactive as they had old reference numbers and she advised me to cancel them which I did. Although the two active DD's were still shown, it appears that the bank had cancelled them all, and that is why VM sent me the text. After the lady from VM advised this, she was able to reinstate the correct debits so all was well. But I still can't believe that VM want your full password over the phone despite all the warnings that tell us not to do so. Hope you get sorted.

0 Kudos
cassie175
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The bank are insisting that the DD has not been cancelled. It was taken out on 15 nov and is set for 15 dec. But Virgin are saying that if she does not set up a new DD immediately her service will stop within 24 hours. Surely she has paid up front for a month, so how can they stop it just a week after she has paid ?

Someone had also changed the password on her account. She would NEVER have used my maiden name as a password - it is too long and complicated :-)

Could her account at VM have been hacked?

She was also asked for her full password - they should NEVER do that and they need to change their policy. When I rang on her behalf they said they only ever ask for 2 characters, so what is going on !!!!

If her phone stops today she will go into the VM shop she brought the sim in as she does not trust the 789 service anymore.

0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How did you get on Cassie?

0 Kudos
cassie175
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

my daughter works in a school and has to switch her phone off, so she will not know until hometime :-)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey cassie175, 

Welcome to the community! Have you issue been resolved? If not please come back to me and let me know and ill have look into it for you!

Take care 

Kelly 

0 Kudos