Menu
roodles
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Poorly worded letter re: removing discount on contract

I have been a mobile customer for years and have had a monthly tariff discount since 2013.

I've just received some poorly worded letter with half of the type missing, I guess they have run out of ink (perhaps they can buy more once they have increased my bill).

Has anyone else had this letter? Are they looking to lose customers?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
naz325
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poorly worded letter re: removing discount on contract

I have been with virgin mobile since 2007 and have four sim only deals. They were all for £7 per month after discount. In july they all went up by £3 to £10 per month.

Then I received the letter which you got. Then today I received text to say discount has been removed and now all my sim only deals have gone up from £10 per month to £23 per month each.

I called up to cancel all 4 sims and got PAC codes for all 4 sims.

Today I have joined Three network, and took out 4 sim only deals. The tariff is unlimited minutes and texts and 4GB (4G speed) data for a grand total of £9 per month each.

Bye Bye Virgin!

All Replies
naz325
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have been with virgin mobile since 2007 and have four sim only deals. They were all for £7 per month after discount. In july they all went up by £3 to £10 per month.

Then I received the letter which you got. Then today I received text to say discount has been removed and now all my sim only deals have gone up from £10 per month to £23 per month each.

I called up to cancel all 4 sims and got PAC codes for all 4 sims.

Today I have joined Three network, and took out 4 sim only deals. The tariff is unlimited minutes and texts and 4GB (4G speed) data for a grand total of £9 per month each.

Bye Bye Virgin!

roodles
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've been a customer a similar amount of time, as long as I can remember anyway.

That Three deal sounds decent, I'll have to give them a call!

0 Kudos
roodles
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the heads up on that deal - I've just done the same thing.

Hello 3, ta ta Virgin...

I assume by how terrible their letter was, that this is what virgin wanted. Perhaps they are trying to purge less profitable accounts?

Anyway. It worked. Laters!
0 Kudos
roodles
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok for anyone else who may be following the thread, when I phoned up to get my PAC, the lady on the phone alluded to the fact that they are trying to get rid of the lower end accounts... So it seems my suspicions were correct.

They couldn't match Three's offer either so if anyone else got the same letter, the homework has all been done for you Smiley Happy

Adios!

0 Kudos
JP20885
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I had a text message yesterday, but yet to receive a letter. Been a customer since 2011 and am a very low user so cannot justify the increase from £5 to £12 on a 3G network.

Interestingly (and well timed), if you have a look at Martin's moneysavingexpert website, the latest update highlights two plans: 1) 3 SIM only plan for £9 for 12m giving 4GB 4G data (unlimited voice and texts) with potential cashback, or 2) EE SIM only plan for £19.99 for 12m giving 8GB 4G data (unlimited voice and texts). However, with this you get a £75 Amazon voucher (using a code), 6 months free Apple Music, 6 months free BT Sport, free voice and text roaming in EU, WiFi calling AND potential cashback of approx £30. Works out at around £10/month. I've rounded numbers here, but check out the moneysavingexpert website or hotukdeals for all the details.

I have no reason to stay with Virgin Mobile - looks like it's only the beginning of them charging premium prices to loyal customers, especially given that they're only a "value" / basic mobile phone provider. I know there are cheaper deals on Virgin such as the £8 tariff, but seems the company is slightly obsessed with price rises at the moment and greed isn't something which wins customers or loyalty.

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

.... and no problems with roaming which seems a  perennial problem with Virgin 

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The price rises could be linked into the forth comming 4G service, you could never use all your data on 3G. But on 4G it's easy so price out the unlimited sim only contracts to lose those customers or get a hefty price increase to pay for it

0 Kudos