Menu
njs44
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor signal strength

I live in a suburb of Watford. It is hardly the back of beyond. We cannot get a decent mobile phone signal anywhere in our house. Furthermore when I visit my father who lives in a nursing home in Hemel Hempstead I cannot get a signal there either. The number of places where the signal is poor is ever increasing. What is the point of having a mobile phone if half the time I cannot use it?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor signal strength

oIs it just your phone or are others effected?

Is this a long term issue or just recent?

Virgin use the EE network do you know anyone on them that have the same problem? 

Use EE's network checker to see if there are problems in your area http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/network-status-checker.

Check coverage here http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/why-ee/network/mobile-coverage

Let us know how you get on.

0 Kudos
njs44
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is everyone's phone not just mine. It has always been a problem since we moved here 3 years ago. Then I was on EE and when I switched to Virgin a couple of months ago the problem remained the same. I am concerned that there are far too many weak spots for phone signals and that phone companies are not really addressing this issue properly.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Njs44,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having issues with the signal in your postcode. I want to get this sorted for you Smiley Happy

Are you able to let me know your full postcode? 

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Switching from EE to Virgin would have given you exactly the same signal.

Lots of things have an effect on reception. I can't get a decent phone signal on any network in my house, and again I am not in   the back of beyond. The nearest phone mast is less than a quarter of a mile. It's just that we are in a slight dip.

Networks do try. There was a government scheme recently which failed because of planning permission. On one site the network pulled out after 18 months because the planning authority could not agree on what colour the mast should be painted!

njs44
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My postcode is WD23 4UA

Nicola

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola,

Many thanks for providing the postcode. I've also picked up your PM.

I've checked the EE mast system and it shows every mast is operational in the area. If you look at our Mobile Coverage Checker page you will see the following statement:-

"This map is only a guide and is not a guarantee of service availability in a particular location. It shows outdoor coverage only. As with all radio-based systems, service may be affected by a number of local factors, such as building materials, tree cover and weather conditions".

As you've already stated, the signal has always been a problem since you moved into the property 3 years ago. This was with EE and now Virgin but we use the same network of course. You also say this is happening to everyone's phone.

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think anything can be done. You could possibly buy a third party signal booster but we don't endorse these so I can't say how effective it will be.

I hope this clears things up for you and I'm sorry I'm not able to help further.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos