Menu
Dealia
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Poor outdoor and very poor indooor signal

Hi there,

Just wondering whether anyone else in the locality is having a similar mobile phone signal issue??

Live in a semi detached house in the BS16 area of Bristol where we've experiencing very poor indoor and outdoor mobile phone reception. Practically gone to nothing and the only way to make and receive calls is to walk down to the end of the street. This has been happening for the past several months and even before this the signal wasn't much better. 

Its a shame that we have two worthless contracts that were now locked into until the end of the year and there's nothing that can be done to resolve this.

Been through the hoop jumping with their customer services and diagnostic checks their end and mine but to no avail. 

Had a similar issue a few years back with Vodafone who offered a free sure signal box which worked a treat. It boosted the signal from 0-1 bars to five bars!!

Been told Virgin media has nothing similar other than "Smart call" which is for outgoing calls in conjunction with a landline. Not much of a consolation.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor outdoor and very poor indooor signal

Hi Dealia,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear you've got 2 phones with poor signal. I'd like to help get to the bottom of this for you.

I've managed to locate your full postcode to check the area signal. I see you're very close to a mast. In fact it's to the North of you on the B4058 road and this is showing as operational.

The external signal seems to be fine because you're able to walk down the street and it works fine. You'd still be connected to the same mast when this happens. This leads me to believe there could be a more localised interference issue.

If you put your postcode in to our website here you will see the area signal is rated as 'Excellent'. Please pay particular attention to the statement shown:-

"This map is only a guide and is not a guarantee of service availability in a particular location. It shows outdoor coverage only. As with all radio-based systems, service may be affected by a number of local factors, such as building materials, tree cover and weather conditions".

I'm afraid we don't have any signal boosters to offer. You could possibly buy your own third party one but this is at your own risk as there's no guarantee this will work. This is just a suggestion only and not a definite recommendation.

It would be great if you could list some of the diagnostic steps you've already done as this may save us going back and forth repeating ourselves.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If you did have a good signal in the past at home, call back in and ask them to find out what has changed, if a mast has been changed (to 4g for example) or switched off/turned around (they are mostly directional) than you have a case to have to contract stopped, as the change has disadvantaged you.

They don't like doing it and iit may take some effort to get the info you need, but it is available to them if they know how where to look.

0 Kudos
MoggyTheCat
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi I live at HP3 0DJ and have more or less no signal, calls keep breaking up no matter if I am inside or outside,

Here the map also says Excellent ??? I use Wifi for browsing inhouse across my Virgin Hub not across 3G as there is more or less no signal

I can't log into my account on my mobile as i get told to use 3g instead of wifi but 3G isn't robust enough aside that why should i use my dataplan for that?

Am i expected to drive into London for a signal to activate my account on the mobile.

I tried to reach out to customer support , but this seems to be an impossible task as well ( No Email/ no contact form) only call us or using snailmail

"we are partnering with EE with 99% cover", what a joke

EDIT, TAGS are not allowed to have the word NO in it?????

Where can i download this app i read of in the advertising for this plan i have so i can use my wifi for calls?

Does this will also work for incoming calls?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi MoggyTheCat,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having some signal issues at home. I want to get this sorted for you. I've ran a check on your area and I can see that there's an active fault on a nearby mast. EE are aware of this issue and they will be taking steps to resolve this.

The app that you've heard about, is called Smartcall. If you're a Virgin landline user, this will allow you to make calls over a Wi-Fi connection using your landline plan.

I'm afraid the app doesn't work for receiving calls.

Please let me know if you have any additional queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
deej181
Settling in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi, My postcode is PE94BX and I currently have no signal indoors and only one tiny bar when I go outdoors. This only began yesterday and up until then I had 3/4 bar coverage. Is there any problems in the area?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Deej1,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having issues in your area. I want to get this sorted for you. I've run some tests and I can't see any issues in your area causing this.

How's this looking for you currently? Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Dealia
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Your customer service is appalling and the issues I posted of originally I'm still experiencing. Your staff never return phone calls made and are mostly just reading from a script based system. Total waste of time and money and I wont be renewing my contracts when they come to an end. 

Anyone else thinking about joining Virgin Media should trod very carefully.

0 Kudos
Dealia
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just to reiterate....

No indoor and very poor outdoor signal issues. and hey presto now I don't have any mobile web. Been on the phone to customer services twice today for over an hour but still not resolved. Promises made to call me back but nothing. Incompetent telephone staff who sound like they reading from a script. was told they were very busy and told to call back some other time!!

0 Kudos
Fletch33
Up to speed
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Very concerning reading through this thread as the circumstances are very similar to myself and the wife. We both had perfectly good signals at home (it has been the main reason for staying with Virgin), but for two weeks neither of us get a reliable signal at home capable of making phone calls.

I did used to get responses on this forum regarding the issue, but ever since it was proven as a network fault I get no replies.
0 Kudos