Menu
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor Mobile Signal

Hi, I get a really poor mobile signal when I place my phone near my computer or computer equipment, like when I just put it on my desk near my monitor and keyboard when I'm on my PC. Is there a way to fix this as it means I have to keep leaving my phone out of reach and I don't know if I have received any messages or if someone's phoned (I use headphones at my computer).

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Mobile Signal

Obviously something is interfering with your phone signal. 

You mention monitor and keyboard. Try unplugging each one in turn to see if you can isolate the problem down to one component.

I am assuming your phone works OK on your desk with the computer switched off. 

I have a smartwatch so I know when I have a call as the thing vibrates like mad on my wrist!

0 Kudos
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, well tbh it doesn't make much difference when the computer/monitor is on or off really. The general signal strength on my phone fluctuates wildly, it's generally around 1-2 bars, sometimes I might be lucky and get a full 3 bars for a short while and other times it can drop to 1 bar or even 0.

This is a new mobile I'm using but this happened with my old one too. I have quite a lot of electrical equipment in my living room such as my PC, TV, router (Virgin Superhub), Tivo etc etc. Even just sat on the sofa, a good 6-7 feet away from anything, I still get a weak signal.

I don't know how to improve it, I can't just turn everything off.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As it happened with your old mobile and assuming it is OK otherwise I'm not sure what you can do.
I've heard of the odd router causing problems, but that is it.
If the phone is on 3G you could try running it on 2G only for a while (if possible on your phone) and see it the signal stabilises.
The problem with 3G is that the range of the signal can vary with the number of people using that tower.
0 Kudos
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to give Virgin a ring today and see if they can recommend anything. I have been reading about signal boosters you can get that might help but it seems like it's a bit of a pain getting one from EE/Virgin.

I'm also considering getting a smartwatch as that would be handy. Seeing as I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge I was thinking about maybe getting the Gear S2.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Watch is useful as I can see notifications without taking the phone out of my pocket. I aslo use it with an app to time and map my bike rides.

I too have poor signal in some rooms, but having my main phone on Three means I get and make calls and messages using wifi.

0 Kudos
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Actually I've just installed an app called Pushbullet on my phone and computer via Chrome and it allows me to receive text notifications on the computer and be able to send texts from my computer to my phone contacts. It also works for calls so now I won't have to worry about missing anything on my phone and can keep it a safe distance away from the computer.

I might still get a watch though for when I'm out and about and I do need to look into improving my signal if possible.
0 Kudos