Menu
fbaggy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Poor Customer Service

So about a week ago my Sony Xperia Z1 would'nt boot up so i booked it in for repair under the warranty

I removed the Sim and micro SD as required and when the send back package arrived I duly sent the phone to the repair service.

I then received a message to say my phone couldn't be repaired as the SIM reader was damaged as this is physical damage then it's not covered under the warranty. Cost of repair £144

The ONLY time I have removed the SIM since receiving the phone in April 2014 was to return it to the repair centre so I just don't believe that this was the issue with the phone when i sent it back.

I have rung CS numerous times and get nowhere i have asked for the call to be escalated and been promised a call back but nothing i am very frustrated.

I was told I could claim on the insurance by one call handler who said the excess would be £35, OK I thought not happy but for £35 at least i would have a working phone. WRONG again I contacted the virgin insurance team and the excess is £150 pounds, the policy states the excess will fall from £150 to £70 to £35 as the phones ages but not sure what the time frames are on that ...longer then 18 months apparently.

I have the full suite with VM including landline, TV, BB, and 4 mobile phones and i can say that as these come due for renewal the contracts won't be renewed as I need a working phone but cannot get to speak to anyone who can actually listen to what I am saying and be able to anything other than just offer the stock answers or provide incorrect advice.

I am not due an upgrade until April 2016 so have to continue to pay for a bricked phone

Helpful Answers
Tickman
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor Customer Service

Exactly the same issues with 'customer service' here, I would love to know what percentage of warranty repairs are actually carried out under warranty, not very high I think!

I stated the 'not fit for purpose' while on the phone to the supervisor of both 'customer services' and 'technical services' neither provide a service as far as I am concerned.

My sim card reader decided to not read the sim so I sent it away for repair, the reply I get is that their is 'physical damage' to the sim card reader so not covered by warranty!

I am disgusted by the behaviour of a company that I had previously recommended but will now discourage anyone I possibly can.

I haven't given up yet though the CEO can have a copy of all my opinions regarding the poor service at least once a day Smiley Happy

All Replies
dazm33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I bring your attention to the sales and goods act and VM cannot go against the act and will give you a handset that is working 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

fbaggy wrote:

...I then received a message to say my phone couldn't be repaired as the SIM reader was damaged as this is physical damage then it's not covered under the warranty. Cost of repair £144

The ONLY time I have removed the SIM since receiving the phone in April 2014 was to return it to the repair centre so I just don't believe that this was the issue with the phone when i sent it back.

The Sale of Goods act covers you for such problems. Some issues (such as a cracked screen) are 99% likely to be the result of misuse. Some problems (such as a faulty SIM reader) are 99% likely to be the result of an inherent manufacturing fault. SoGA covers you for the latter for up to six years (depending on the nature of the product). In the first six months, it's up to the retailer to prove that any fault is the result of misuse rather than an inherent fault. For the next 5½ years it is up to the consumer to prove that any fault was an inherent manufacturing fault rather than misuse. No reasonable judge would accept that a SIM reader is likely to have broken as a result of misuse simply because it's not something that tends to get used by the consumer in the first place.

Like most customers, A SIM goes in when the contract starts and stays there at least until the end of the minimum term.

This is, of course, assuming that the SIM reader is at fault in the first place. A phone handset should boot without a SIM present, so it seems to me that the tech who received your phone simply doesn't know what's wrong and is pushing you towards and expensive solution in the hope that you will give up and "fix" the issue by buying a new handset.

0 Kudos
fbaggy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have again spoken with CS and been transferred to their technical team, they are 100% unwilling to do anything and whilst I understand the ability to take action under the SOGA this would require commencing legal action which could prove more expensive than the phone itself.

Once I receive the phone back I will be in contact with Sony but as for Virgin media I will be voting with my feet.

if I thought for one moment that the damage was caused by me I wouldn't feel so aggrieved by this situation but I have looked after the handset, it has never been dropped or abused in any way.

I am currently spending £200 a month with VM and this will as soon as possible drop to £0

0 Kudos
Russl
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Wow £200 PM with VM they should send you a gold plated diamond encrusted phone, Wrapped in the hide of a Unicorn.

Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
lou22
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I do wonder if Virgin have mobile technicians that actually exist because they clearly are in need some training in mobile repairs, otherwise this is just a scam to make you claim on your mobile insurance.

I too had a problem with my Sony Xperia that is still under warranty so sent it to Virgin to be repaired. I knew that there was a fault with the charging port as I had purchased a new battery and the phone worked fine with a new battery but it still would not charge. I informed the technicians of this when i sent it in.

A week later virgin return my phone to me with a letter to tell me my phone was beyond repair because of water damage and therefore they could not repair this under warranty. They even included a grainy black and white photo of the so called water damage, not that i could tell if it was actually my phone and then informed me to speak to customer services

I phoned customer services and told them i did not believe that the phone was water damaged as I had got it work myself with a new battery. They said my only option was to pay the £70 excess for a new phone on my insurance. I refused and told them I would sort the problem myself.

I ordered a cheap mobile battery charger from china for £3.75 and now I can charge my batteries and my mobile phone is working just fine, with no thanks to Virgin.

The whole mobile repair situation stinks and I honestly believe that these phones are repairable but they just want you to claim on their insurance. It really makes me question if i want to be a customer anymore.

0 Kudos
foxy23
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have had a similar problem with my Samsung S5. I reported a problem where my phone locks up for several minutes after receiving a text, when I sent it in I also filled in the form explaining a couple of other minor issues; dead pixel on the screen, numbers on onscreen keyboard showing as blocks rather than numbers, the cover for the USB port has become detached and a couple of other minor things. These didn't prevent me from using the phone but were more of an annoyance which as it was going to be fixed could be looked at as well.

After being transferred around in circles for about 5 calls I finally found out it was going to cost me £150 to have the USB cover attached again, I questioned if this also covered the cost of the other issues being fixed and was greeted with 'I don't know it just says the USB cover'. This was the least of my concerns and not even the reason I sent the phone back in, but the technical team seem adamant that its physical damage and won't do a thing about anything else. The funny thing is its not actually broken it just needs a dab of glue because you can see the textured edge where is become unstuck!

I've requested the phone be sent back to me last week, still no sign of it, I've emailed 'the team' and no reply from them either.

At a loss to explain this, a long, frustrating and drawn out process. I also will be leaving for pastures new.

0 Kudos
fbaggy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

well got my phone back today, still broken of course

it amazes me that VM can just wave goodbye to loyal customers like this

I got the same story regarding the damage apparently it doesnt matter if it is related to fault or not if there is any damage then they will not touch it under the warranty

I think what upset me the most was the "its tough" attitude from pretty much everyone I spoke to in CS, it seems like this £150 is the stock answer for any repair and i like you think it is just to force you down the insurance/new handset route as it doesn't seem worth spending that kind of money on an 18 month old phone.

the £200 is made up of a fairly large TV/Phone and Broadband package and 4 mobiles for the family, happily all the mobiles are at the end of their contracts on the next 6 months so won't be too long till I'm VM free

0 Kudos
Tickman
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Exactly the same issues with 'customer service' here, I would love to know what percentage of warranty repairs are actually carried out under warranty, not very high I think!

I stated the 'not fit for purpose' while on the phone to the supervisor of both 'customer services' and 'technical services' neither provide a service as far as I am concerned.

My sim card reader decided to not read the sim so I sent it away for repair, the reply I get is that their is 'physical damage' to the sim card reader so not covered by warranty!

I am disgusted by the behaviour of a company that I had previously recommended but will now discourage anyone I possibly can.

I haven't given up yet though the CEO can have a copy of all my opinions regarding the poor service at least once a day Smiley Happy

fbaggy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

how are you contacting the CEO? email?

optio at hot mail dot co dot uk

if you could provide the details?
0 Kudos