Menu
furnitureman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Plagued by nuisance calls from 0800 4089340

Hi, I seem to be plagued by nuisance calls to my elderly Samsung Galaxy S mobile at the moment (from 0800 4089340 and 0800 4089430). A search on both numbers shows they are Virgin Media.

I have had this mobile for some time but have never given the number out since I only use the phone for emergencies.
Can you either stop it or recommend a good "call blocker" that works and runs on Android. I have tried the "Reject Call" function but one got through.
Thanks

0 Kudos
glenda76
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Plagued by nuisance calls from 0800 4089340

I find the stock android version of dialler has an excellent blocker. In the past I've have had more trouble with third party blockers.

What android version do you have?
0 Kudos
furnitureman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I think I have version 2.2.1. Just had another scam call (3 on a Saturday) - don't these guys give up?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you actually answered the call?

If you install a call recorder (this one should work on your version of Android - can't vouch for it though) and answer the call, you get evidence of the call content. All you need to do is establish who the caller is, and state that you don't want to receive calls from the organisation, demand that you are added to their "do not call" list, tell them you are hanging up, then hang up.

If they call again, pick up, establish who the caller is, advise that they are breaking the law because you've asked to be removed from the database, tell them that you will be contacting OFCOM* with the recordings, then hang up.

Virgin are a telecoms company and their trade is the distance selling of handsets and services. It's not unreasonable for them to tout for business by cold calling, unless you actually answer and tell them not to. It can get very expensive for them if they continue to do so after you've asked not to be harassed.

Depending on how bolshy you want to get, the first time you answer you can also tell the caller that any future calls will be invoiced at £25 per call and that the placing of such future calls will be taken as acceptance of this charge.

* I think for situations like this, you might be able to go straight to OFCOM instead of through CISAS.

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Furnitureman,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're receiving nuisance calls from these numbers. So you can not be disturbed again, can you please PM me your full mobile number and 3 characters from your password to pass DPA? I Can remove you from the calls list

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know