Menu
SpankyLeonard
Joining in
Message 1 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Picture messages to the USA that I did not send

Hi,

This is the 2nd month in a row that I have had a charge on my bill for a picture message to the USA to 00100202501.  I have not sent any kind of message to the USA, so am puzzled.  I tried ringing the number, but it said not in service.

Virgin credited my bill last month as a courtesy, but I doubt they'll do it again this month.  Any advice?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 7 of 45
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Picture messages to the USA that I did not send

I have exactly the same problem. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus but its apps are precisely those that have been ported across from my iPhone 4S. The difference is that my iPhone 4S was with an Orange account and never called this number while the iPhone 6 Plus has a Virgin SIM card (since the 19th Dec) and immediately, apparently, sent two of these picture texts on that day.

So it would seem that there is a problem here with the Virgin SIM and it feels to me like its been hacked.

My other piece of evidence for this assertion is that my 3G data allowance is also being used even although my phone is connected to my home broadband. I have raised this elsewhere but if we all keep on long enough somebody might just think that if they want to keep any customers at all they ought to do something about it.

0 Kudos
judyeva71
Joining in
Message 19 of 45
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i have these picture messages and i have just rung virgin mobile and they say it is a picture message going to an email! basically not helpful.

0 Kudos

All Replies
darwin
Superfast
Message 2 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Have you sent a long txt message or a message with an emoji in it to a foreign country?
0 Kudos
SpankyLeonard
Joining in
Message 3 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I haven't sent any messages to any foreign countries. I did send a picture message to a friend in the UK, but I got charged 40p for that. I haven't sent any really long texts because I tend to use whatsapp or messenger.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Which was the last* app you installed before the message was sent?

* More specifically, the last app installed that had access to the texting service on your handset.

0 Kudos
SpankyLeonard
Joining in
Message 5 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I don't know how to check either of those things. I'll try looking in my settings to see what has access to text messages. Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Hi SpankyLeonard

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're spotting these messages appearing on your bill that you're not aware you sent.

Is it an Android handset you're using?

It could be an application that is sending the texts without your consent - can you remember which applications you've installed on the phone since the first charge appeared on a bill?

It might be worth uninstalling all these applications and re installing them one by one. Google Play will advise you of all permissions the App is requesting to install. Be wary of any app requesting access to 'SMS' or 'Phone' that doesn't need access to these to functions.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 7 of 45
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have exactly the same problem. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus but its apps are precisely those that have been ported across from my iPhone 4S. The difference is that my iPhone 4S was with an Orange account and never called this number while the iPhone 6 Plus has a Virgin SIM card (since the 19th Dec) and immediately, apparently, sent two of these picture texts on that day.

So it would seem that there is a problem here with the Virgin SIM and it feels to me like its been hacked.

My other piece of evidence for this assertion is that my 3G data allowance is also being used even although my phone is connected to my home broadband. I have raised this elsewhere but if we all keep on long enough somebody might just think that if they want to keep any customers at all they ought to do something about it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 45
Flag for a moderator

brightonjohn wrote:

...my iPhone 4S was with an Orange account and never called this number while the iPhone 6 Plus has a Virgin SIM card (since the 19th Dec) and immediately, apparently, sent two of these picture texts on that day.

So it would seem that there is a problem here with the Virgin SIM and it feels to me like its been hacked...

Maybe your 4S was also infected but Orange had the outgoing number blocked?

0 Kudos
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 9 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

brightonjohn wrote:

...my iPhone 4S was with an Orange account and never called this number while the iPhone 6 Plus has a Virgin SIM card (since the 19th Dec) and immediately, apparently, sent two of these picture texts on that day.

So it would seem that there is a problem here with the Virgin SIM and it feels to me like its been hacked...

Maybe your 4S was also infected but Orange had the outgoing number blocked?

So why aren't Virgin capable of such a simple and sensible solution instead of recommending horrible apps that were neither nor free nor designed to block outgoing calls? To be fair they say they will credit me for those purchases. We'll see.

0 Kudos
DaveMobile
Joining in
Message 10 of 45
Flag for a moderator

3 or 4 years ago I responded to an auto di8al number - I can't recall what it was -something like a free football match result.

A couple of weeks later I started getting charges for texts I was not expecting and didn't want.  Virgin sorted it out and told me that hidden in the small print I had signed up to receive calls from these robbing (...tards - expletive).  I had to text STOP to a number they gave me and it did stop.

If you do a search for 00100202501 you will see the number comes up on a lot of sites so it's obviously a scam. I see on this site  What Number that a user says it happened after they shared some info on the Travelzoo app.

- Any connection?

I try not to give out my mobile number nowadays to anyone except on sites like Amazon (which is trustworthy) and only if it's mandatory.

As you know the number you are sending the picture messages to, I would have though Amazon could look it up and give you a similar solution.  Also, you might be able to stop it yourself by entering the phone number in the "Banned" numbers on your phone.

I absolutely hate being ripped off so I really hope you get this sorted quickly.

0 Kudos