Menu
London121
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Picture messages scam on mobile

Have been charged for two picture messages which I never sent . What can I do ???

Picture message to Canada and United States of America0010020250100

Also £4 for a received text message from

Premium text received700052040.  
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Picture messages scam on mobile

Just so you know, the "picture messages to an American number" are actually texts where you've picked up someone's contact that contains just their email address rather than the contact that contains their mobile number.

When you inadvertently use an email contact, your text gets processed as a MMS and your phone sends it via a message centre that appears as the above number on your bill, regardless of who you send it to.

The way to deal with this is to reconcile all your contact methods for a person into one phone contact, where each contact method is appropriately labelled. i.e. a mobile number is identified as a mobile number, not "home phone" etc. That way you only have one entry for a person in your contact list, and the handset will choose the most appropriate protocol.

It won't protect you from being charged for sending a text to someone for whom your only method of contact is an email address, though.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi London121,

Welcome to the Community Forum, sorry to hear that you have been charged for picture messages that weren't sent from your phone and also for a premium text. 

So that we can access your details and investigate this further, please give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 or get in touch via WebChat on Contact Us.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
London121
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

first operator could not speak understandable english so had to go through process again as she did not know how to deal with the query and cut me off.  the second operator credited my account.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi London121,

Apologies for the difficulties you had reporting this issue when you called in, thank you for getting back in touch to let us know how this went. I'm glad to hear that you have now been successful in getting this sorted out.

Don't be a stranger around the Community! Feel free to browse through the Boards and jump into a thread if you have any advice or tips that may be of use to others.

Take care,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just so you know, the "picture messages to an American number" are actually texts where you've picked up someone's contact that contains just their email address rather than the contact that contains their mobile number.

When you inadvertently use an email contact, your text gets processed as a MMS and your phone sends it via a message centre that appears as the above number on your bill, regardless of who you send it to.

The way to deal with this is to reconcile all your contact methods for a person into one phone contact, where each contact method is appropriately labelled. i.e. a mobile number is identified as a mobile number, not "home phone" etc. That way you only have one entry for a person in your contact list, and the handset will choose the most appropriate protocol.

It won't protect you from being charged for sending a text to someone for whom your only method of contact is an email address, though.

0 Kudos
London121
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

these texts were to some island in the Pacific.  virgin said hey would refund me but they haven't and keep asking me to text numbers to stop this.  i also had several pages on my bill where I had been charged and then the charge removed.  The whole bill was very strange.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's not really surprising the whole bill is strange. Virgin have credited you for charges that really you should have to pay. It makes your bill a bit of a mess, but at least it's cheaper for you.

It's nothing to do with "islands in the pacific" - just stop trying to send texts to email contacts and the problem will go away. It's not exactly rocket science.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good morning London121 Smiley Happy

Many thanks for writing into the Community and sharing.

I would like to know if thetexts have stopped now? You should only need to text 'STOP' or 'STOP ALL', once for this to work, afte that It would seem like fishing.

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos