Menu
drewd
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Picture message charging.

I have six 40p charges for picture messages. I didn't send any picture messages. There were 3 pairs of charges. Each time to a number I know and a second to an unrecognised number starting 01.

0 Kudos
badoit
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture message charging.

If you put emojis in a message I think they get converted to icons and that makes it a picture message.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi drewd,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you've been unexpectedly charged for sending picture messages.

I can see badoit has made a point around emojis already. This is more thank likely the cause of these charges. To help shed further light on this for you here is a link to a previous thread which explains a bit more around this situation for you.

Hope this helps.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Further to the other replies, sending really long messages and/or having a large circulation list sometimes results in SMS being converted to MMS. I don't know if you're charged 40p for each recipient.

It's the handset's doing. The UK is still pretty backward in that MMS are charged differently to SMS. In other countries, carriers treat them the same as far as charging goes, which is why the handset converts messages if MMS transfer would be more efficient.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Drewd,

Further to gorfs post, the character limit for a SMS to be converted to MMS is 160 characters.

Once a text has exceeded 160 characters on some handsets it'll be converted to an MMS message. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos