Menu
plankymill
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Picture message charge

Why am I charged 40p for a picture message, is this charged only when I have exceeded my monthly data allowance?

Or am I reading my bill wrongly?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture message charge

All picture messages are chargeable

0 Kudos
plankymill
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks dannylau. I understand there will be a charge, but me not being very savvy I don't understand why this is charged on top of my data allowance before I have actually exceeded it?

image.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi plankymill,

a 40p charge for an MMS (picture message) is applied regardless of mobile data allowance.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

plankymill
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks AlexKid, I appreciate what you're saying is fact, but at risk of getting tedious (and yes, I have had it explained that I could  just use wotsup in future), what's the difference between mobile data and a picture message?

I'm old Smiley Sad and just trying to get my head around my first smart phone.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

plankymill wrote:

Thanks AlexKid, I appreciate what you're saying is fact, but at risk of getting tedious (and yes, I have had it explained that I could  just use wotsup in future), what's the difference between mobile data and a picture message?

I'm old Smiley Sad and just trying to get my head around my first smart phone.

You see there's the problem right there. You are old and expect  things to be simple. In plain English. Which unfortunately does not fit with the way ALL mobile providers work.

In the real world, Data IS Data IS Data. Whether its a picture message, part of your allotted allowance or MB above your allowance its all still data. MMS have been chargeable from back in the day when Mobile phone providers worked out they could define it as something else and stick the arm in. Texts used to cost like 50p right ? Still a couple of lines of data...The reason charges for texts came down is because the EU looked into it. MMS needs the same IMHO.

So the direct answer is "Yes its still the same data, on the same network but due to them defining it as something different, mobile providers will charge you an extortionate rate for MMS (picture messages)"

0 Kudos
plankymill
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Kippies

Gosh! Just when I thought I might just be able to get my head around accepting the inevitable 'grey areas' and just play it safe by not dabbling. I'm now even more intrigued.

So.. Data is data, but not as I know it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MMS uses your mobile data connection but not your mobile data allowance. It's charged separately and will not reduce your available data allowance.
0 Kudos
plankymill
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gorf, I'm now too embarrassed to say I still don't understand the difference, but there, I said it..
0 Kudos