Menu
johnblakemore
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Picture Messages charged but not sent by me

I see from previous posts that this has been a problem for a number of years.

My latest Bill had six picture messages charged at 40p all sent on the same day & at the same second! including one to USA/Canada & all to numbers I dont recognise. I have never ever sent a picture message. Also on the same bill were many internet items (not charged) using EU Data Travel Pass which I have never purchased? I was refunded the erroneous charges for the picture messages but the employee spoken too made no mention of previous problems with these picture messages!.

Now my daughter who also has a virgin mobile account has found a greater number of picture messages on her bill, including one to the USA/Canada which she has not sent? They have been charged at 40p each.

As this has clearly been problem for a number of years when will Virgin sort it out. They must have taken large amounts of money because members have not spotted these items on their bills!

0 Kudos
badoit
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Messages charged but not sent by me

If you use emoticons such as colon + close bracket (smiley) in text messages they can get turned into emojis (little pictures) and you get charged the picture message rate, also if the message is over the length limit. You can usually disable emoji conversion in phone settings.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

johnblakemore wrote:

I see from previous posts that this has been a problem for a number of years...

Not really. The previous posts are typically from people who don't know that the UK carriers (not just Virgin) are a huge rip-off when it comes to MMS messages, and those same posters either don't know how to use their phone, or elect to ignore the "converting to MMS" popup when their message meets certain criteria.

I can't comment on the fact that you don't recognise the mobile numbers, but I do know that if you send your message to six recipients, a lot of handsets will convert it to MMS. Even if your handset's threshold is higher than this, if you inadvertently send to an email contact, you'll send the other five as MMS also.

If the "USA/Canada" number is 0010020250100 then your text has gone to an email address (in other words, it's your fault). Messages that show as "picture message" in your bill are messages sent using the MMS protocol. These are charged at 40p. If your phone converts the text you're sending to MMS it's because the message is too long, going to many recipients or has an attached file (which might be a picture, audio file, Vcard or nonstandard emoticon).Have you tried looking on your handset to see if there are any messages to a big circulation list at the time shown on your bill?

0 Kudos
johnblakemore
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have never in my life sent multiple messages & I have never sent a SMS message to an email address which you say would be my fault. Any texts I send are three short line of text at the most.What about the EU data package I was supposed to have purchased when clearly I have not?

The picture message was to the number listed but if no picture message or simple texts were sent how can it have gone to an email address?

I am afraid your explanations do not appear to have relevance in this case.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried ringing the numbers to see who they belong to?

0 Kudos