Menu
malone19
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Phone showing signal but can't make calls, send texts or get data

For the past week my phone has been showing signal, signal checker apps shows it has signal but I can't make or receive calls, SMS or connect to data.

Every time I move area it loses signal then takes an age to come back (not that it works) and I have to mess around with airplane mode and/or APN settings or going in to select network (which often cannot be found) to get it to come back half the time.

I've called the helpline but they are no help. They do not have any technical knowledge and don't seem to be able to run any diagnostics, not sure if they are able to ping my phone or whatever but if they can they don't seem like they know how. It was suggested I try a new sim (same problem) or "take out a new contract". Not helpful in the slightest.

I'd really like someone to look into it to see if it's an internal settings issue as this seems to be a fairly common problem all around the country on certain people's accounts.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone showing signal but can't make calls, send texts or get data

Hi malone19,

when you say "It was suggested I try a new sim" did you?

If the problem still persisted, perhaps the fault lies with your device.

Are you able to try your SIM in another phone and test if you are able to make calls OK?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
malone19
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes I said same problem. Not been able to get another phone or sim to try (different network or my sim in their phone). It does work intermittently and seems to work in specific areas so obviously it's working with some cell towers but not most which would suggest to me some sort of communication issue between my device and the network rather than a physical problem... But how am I meant to fix that without any support?
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi malone19,

Thank you for coming in and for your posts so far.

AlexKid and myself agree on the SIM and phone being tested so I may narrow the potential issues down.

Also I would like to ask if you have been able to use the Service Checker to check the local area?

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
malone19
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes of course I have checked the service status checker, that is what everyone does first. Although after speaking to someone in an EE store today they confirmed that Virgin only have access to part of their network.

I will try to find someone to switch sims with on another network (or same network).

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Malone19,

Thank you for your time and for posting back to me.

We need to make sure that were checking the service checker to ensure there's nothing outright in the area. The SIM card in a different phone should let us know whether there's a bit of a SIM issue that we can help with.

If you require some more infomration, we're here and please let us know how you get on with the tests.

Ben

0 Kudos
malone19
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've tried a sim very briefly but didn't have enough time for it to really connect. However it asked if I wanted to set automatic settings (it was also a virgin sim) and I said yes. I then put mine back in and it is working better than it was. When connected to certain towers/masts I can make calls, get internet and texts etc. But many of the masts still have issues and there is a real issue with switching between areas, when I lose signal it's a struggle to find it again.
0 Kudos
malone19
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Basically when I get H+ everything is fine but anything less than that and nothing works.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Malone19,

Thank you for coming in Smiley Happy

Whenever there are issues with masts in the area, you're correct in what you're saying. I would mention that when you try popping the SIM out>> reboot>> SIM in>> reboot, this reconnects you and can choose a different masts at times. i would like to ask if you're seeing this issue right now?

Keep in touch.

Ben

0 Kudos
malone19
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tried it. Works on and off. I walked through a different town a few days ago and had connection all the time. Glasgow City centre is a nightmare as is my home town. No help from Virgin so I'm taking out a new contract on a different network and won't be back.
0 Kudos