Menu
JohnB56
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Phone sent for repair - missing in post

I sent my LG G4 off for repair last week, using the supplied box. It was accepted at my local Royal Mail post office, and I got a tracking receipt. That was on 2/2/16. I wasn't expecting much activity before Friday, so I didn't bother following up until yesterday.

I checked the Track and Trace service last night, and it just shows "sales order raised" on 3/2/16 at 0524 GMT. At the same time, I checked the repair tab for my account. It shows "awaiting customer to return phone".

This morning, I rang 0345 6000789 to find out if it had been received. The CS advisor said No, and advised me to call back tomorrow. Shortly after this, the repair status vanished from the tab, merely showing the PAYG handset I bought as an emergency phone and put the pay monthly SIM into.

I have a number of questions

1): If the "sales order raised" notice on Track and Trace means that Virgin are billed for postage when the pre-addressed package is posted, have they done so? If not, why not?

2): If Royal Mail have lost or held the phone, who is liable?

3):I notice that other users have had faulty phones collected by couriers. Why was this not done in my case?

Sorry for length.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone sent for repair - missing in post

Hi Johnb56,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sure this is nothing to worry about! I'll be happy to clear this up for you.

All postage is pre-paid for and is arranged by us automatically.

If Royal Mail lose the handset, they will be accountable and a claim can be raised with them for this.

A repair handset is always posted from us in a pre-paid royal mail bag. An exchange will be collected by a courier.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm glad to hear that it's arrived at the repair center John Smiley Happy

Thank you for your patience while we get the phone fixed for you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Johnb56,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sure this is nothing to worry about! I'll be happy to clear this up for you.

All postage is pre-paid for and is arranged by us automatically.

If Royal Mail lose the handset, they will be accountable and a claim can be raised with them for this.

A repair handset is always posted from us in a pre-paid royal mail bag. An exchange will be collected by a courier.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
JohnB56
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Rang 789, and it's turned up at the repair centre. 8 days for a Tracked 24 item. Seeing as it's Virgin who are paying for the high speed tracked service, I'd be having a word. Not that it would do any good, Royal Mail being Royal Mail. The tech team were very helpful and managed to make sure it was physically present, so it's just a matter of waiting another week. Tsk.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm glad to hear that it's arrived at the repair center John Smiley Happy

Thank you for your patience while we get the phone fixed for you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
JohnB56
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Phone's back. Yay! Except...there was a letter saying I'd sent them the wrong phone, and would I please send the correct one. They had therefore returned the phone I'd sent. The IMEI of the returned phone didn't match the one I'd sent in. Which is a bit confusing, because the phone I have now a) works b) is running Marshmallow 6.0 where the old one ran Lollipop 5.x.x. The old one was borked and bricked: the " G4 Bootloop of Death" is now recognised as terminal. However, the screen is the same, unless Virgin are handing out high end screen protectors. Might be a replacement mainboard. There's also a "call 789" alert on the desktop version of the account page, but not the mobile page, which functions correctly. I am confused now.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi JohnB56,

Thanks for keeping us updated. That does sound very confusing indeed. I imagine there has been some sort of mix up at the repair centre.

Have you called the team back since receiving it?

What was the outcome of that call?

Look forward to your response.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
smartguy69
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You were lucky. I sent my G4 in last week and first they said they cannot repair and then they said they won't repair it to some sort of time frame. Nothing like trying to confuse me. Not entirely sure what that means as its only 7 months old and absolutely mint but I too had the boot loop of death which followed shortly after an upgrade to marshmallow. Am a bit annoyed now as LG said they wish to help, VM don't have any replacement phones to send me and are offering me an S6 which am not keen on at all. It's smaller for one thing so not the same spec. I can't believe there are no G4's available especially when they are advertised as having stock on the website with physical stock at my nearest store. I thought companies had a duty to repair the phone, especially when LG have admitted to the motherboard problem and are willing to put it right. If VM can't or won't put it right and also can only offer me a phone which is not the same or equivalent to my old phone then my contract should be cancelled. I would consider the S6+ as it has the bigger screen but there is no stock of that either. I have agreed to wait a short while to see if a G4 becomes available but if it does not then it should be replaced with a brand new phone or my contract should be cancelled and refunded. I believe that is how our consumer law works in this country but I would prefer not to go that route and just have my old phone back.

0 Kudos