Menu
orfc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phone recycling page

Q1: How come on http://recycle.virginmedia.com/ I can type in the IMEI of my old virgin bought phone, it can then recognise what type of phone it is (as shown in the tooltip), but then it tells me there are zero search results? If it's worth naff all, just say so :-), i think the website needs a bit of polish

I suppose Q2 is: is there any way of just freeposting my old mobile to virgin to get rid of?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone recycling page

Hi orfc,

Thanks for stopping by. Sorry to hear the website isn't showing any results for your old handset.

I've checked this myself with my IMEI number and it did return a result, but this is an S5 so expected it to show. I'm not sure what you class as 'old'. Could you please answer the following questions:-

What is the make and model of the handset?

Have you tried entering this in instead?

Does it return any results now?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
orfc
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's a 3-year old ZTE Kis so it's probably worth about 50p now, but I'm thinking it might as well go somewhere to be recycled then sit in my draw. It was sold by Virgin on a PAYG tariff

http://www.trustedreviews.com/zte-kis-review

PS. Out of the 3 suggested models that pop up when i type "zte", kis isn't there, but selecting 2 of those 3 options then return "no search results" themselves

As I say I'm not looking to get anything for the phone itself, I a) just want rid of it in an earth-huggy way and b) the virgin website could do with a bit of a polish when certain phones/models aren't there (or they are suggested by the auto-complete function but then return as blanks), could you pass that on to the web dev team?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi orfc,

Thanks very much for coming back to me.

When you enter the full model or IMEI number you will be presented with a message "Your search returned 0 results". At the bottom of this you will see a link "Not sure which one is your phone?"

If you follow this link it then brings up the exact make and model in a bigger list. It will then take you to a log in screen. You will notice there is no picture to go with the handset and it's recycle only meaning no money will be given.

I agree this does seem quite hidden but it will definitely allow you to proceed. I'll pass your feedback on too so the Web team can take a look at improving it.

Hope this information helps and you're able to finally recycle it.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
orfc
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yeh, I can find the make/model now and fire it off for recycling, thanks!

It is annoying I have to type in some rhubarb in the initial search to get there though (I typed "xhxhxlk"), why not just have that as another option first up? So give the web team a rocket from me.

PS. If you want a second usability whine, I then had to set up a new user account just for the recycling as my mobile account details weren't accepted (and yeh i typed them in right)

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply orfc Smiley Happy

I'm glad that you managed to get this all sorted in the end. Sorry for any additional frustration caused on our part.

It seems odd that you had to create another account for this. I've not seen this previously.

I'll monitor this and will see if it crops up again.

If there's anything else that you need from us, feel free to ask,

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos