Menu
bazzavk
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phone not working abroad - apart from texts

My daughter is travelling abroad (Europe) for 2 and a half weeks with her Virgin iphone, according to the account info data roaming is set on and we purchased a 250MB travel pass - but she can only communicate via text. Phone settings for data roaming are also enabled. Seems like this is not an isolated problem with Virgin Mobile, plenty of entries on the forums on this topic  - any advice appreciated

0 Kudos
simplycool18
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not working abroad - apart from texts

I am happy to give you advice. Get out of Virgin Mobile and get a bone fide company like vodaphone, 02 etc. Virgin mobile are just liars and charletons. I have been abroad twice in the last 6 weeks and despite promises have not had mobile access at all. I don't know what their game is but whatever they are doing in this modern age of technology is absolutely absurd. There is no email to contact, presumably because their inbox couldn't handle the amount of complaints, and also the overseas help number, given to me by virgin doesn't answer. Even the hotel receptionist tried a number of times. Get out as soon as possible - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
0 Kudos
bazzavk
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data roaming not working abroad

Thanks for the advice, doesn't sound very promising from your experience, but am persevering.

I can call the phone ok now, suspect that she can make calls too once she has swapped the leading 0's to +44 , so probably just data roaming not working, more on this below.

I rang the support line again and(after many questions and explaining to them that we had already done all the things they suggest)  they put me through to the technical team The technical team person said that 'due to a systems glitch' that data roaming had not been activated correctly and this had now been done, to switch the phone off and leave off for 30 minutes, then when back on to go to manually select a carrier" and that within 24 hours data roaming will all be working - we'll see.

0 Kudos
bazzavk
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice, doesn't sound very promising from your experience, but am persevering.

I can call the phone ok now, suspect that she can make calls too once she has swapped the leading 0's to +44 , so probably just data roaming not working, more on this below.

I rang the support line again and(after many questions and explaining to them that we had already done all the things they suggest)  they put me through to the technical team The technical team person said that 'due to a systems glitch' that data roaming had not been activated correctly and this had now been done, to switch the phone off and leave off for 30 minutes, then when back on to go to manually select a carrier" and that within 24 hours data roaming will all be working - we'll see.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not working abroad - apart from texts

I'm having issues too, how did you get on ?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi bazzavk,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear you're daughters phone is experiencing difficulties while abroad.

I can see you seem pretty much on top of this from your updates.

I was wondering if you managed to get this sorted.

Let me know if you need anything.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
bazzavk
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes - thanks - all working ok now

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi bazzavk,

Thanks for getting back to meSmiley Happy

Great news, really glad this got sorted for you and your daughter.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you need anything further.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos