Menu
tobycrisford
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phone not working abroad and cannot get through to any help numbers

I have just started a trip to Poland today, and my phone has not been able to connect to the local network, so I have been completely unable to use it. This has never happened to me before. I have no other electronic device with me and was relying on the phone as my only connection to my friends and family back home.

Fortunately, I have been able to borrow a friend's laptop and discover that I apparently should have turned 'roaming' on before I left. This seems to be because I switched from pay as you go to contract since the last time I travelled abroad (I don't remember this significant change ever being made clear to me). This would be annoying in itself, but what's more I have been completely unable to turn roaming on from here in Poland. First, I can't access my account online because the 'security question' that it presents me with is just blank. I try ringing the help number (which I can of course only do by borrowing another friend's phone) and it I just rings until I get no answer, despite the website saying their opening times should be until midnight 7 days a week. I google the issue and find many other people complaining about exactly the same problem of finding their phone doesn't work and being unable to rectify that from abroad.

Frankly, I am extremely angry about this. It has added needless stress to the start of the trip and seems to be a ridiculous policy that other providers do not use. Maybe I should have read up on using my phone abroad before the trip, but this is obviously a mistake a lot of people will make and to not only design a system where this mistake will happen all the time, but to then make it next to impossible to fix without... using a phone! Is ridiculous! If I had not been travelling with friends, I would have no way of contacting people back home for 2 weeks.

Unless I get an apology and some help fixing this problem, the first thing I will be doing when I return home is to switch providers, despite being a loyal user of Virgin Mobile for over 10 years.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not working abroad and cannot get through to any help numbers

What is the number you are calling? +447953967967 is the number from abroad.

0 Kudos
Kirkby49
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin, unique amongst providers, seem to have problems with roaming.

Unfortunately, setting the web interface to roaming will not solve your problem.

Take a look at other post on the forum including some proposed solutions which may or may not help you.

Hope you have more luck than I have.

0 Kudos
tobycrisford
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply! I've tried that number, but I get no answer. You don't happen to know what hours it is operational do you? Is it not open to midnight like the normal helpline (can't get through to that either but maybe that's because I'm abroad (ridiculous!))

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tobycrisford,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the roaming issues you've had and I promise we'll do all we can to get this sorted.

I've replied to your PM so we can get on the case.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos