Menu
steverich
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phone not working abroad... again!

I've just returned from 10 days in the Canaries, a couple of days before travelling, myself and my wife who both have very similar Pay Monthly contracts tried to buy a 250MB travel pass each, we were unable to because of a problem with 'the system' but were assured they would be purchased on our behalf as soon as they became available. Before leaving Roaming was turned on in our account settings.

On arrival my wife's phone automatically connected to ORANGE SE and the travel pass was activated, mine however would not connect to any network and remained with 'no service' for the duration of the 10 days, no amount of settings variation including mirroring my wife's phone would work (she has an iPhone 5C and I have an iPhone SE, they are both running the lates IOS) effectively my phone was unusable.

A similar thing happened last year, I had an iPhone 4 then which had no service abroad, apparently they are incompatible with the Travel Pass (It should still have picked up a network though surely?) I was still sold a pass and assured it would work (I was refunded the cost of the pass on that occasion).

I am travelling abroad again in September, alone this time and understandably have zero confidence that my phone will work, I'm seriously considering terminating my contract as it clearly isn't fit for purpose if I can't contact my family for 4 days.

Does anyone else have similar experiences or suggestions as to why my phone in particular wouldn't work?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone not working abroad... again!

Roaming should work if active on both your phone and account, data is paid for in a different way. Removing and reading the service from virgins end would resolve a "stuck" issue and enable the service for calls in and out.

0 Kudos

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you confirmed that roaming is setup on you web account?

If so you'll need to call 789 and get them to remove then read the service. I can't promise it will work, but it should 

0 Kudos
steverich
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply,

Roaming was switched to ON on both of our online accounts, sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by 'get them to remove then read the service'. Should my phone not have at the very least picked up a network as my wife's did, does activating roaming on your handset not just enable mobile data usage, her roaming was turned OFF yet she could still text and make a call.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Roaming should work if active on both your phone and account, data is paid for in a different way. Removing and reading the service from virgins end would resolve a "stuck" issue and enable the service for calls in and out.

0 Kudos
steverich
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go before I travel again.
0 Kudos