Menu
Ojok
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phone is blocked

My phone is blocked. A message on the screen reads: ''Type password to decrypt storage''

I tried resetting as advised by Sony but have failed. Can anyone help? This has never happened before

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone is blocked

"Decrypt storage"? Sounds like ransomware to me.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Try getting your PUK from the online account page and see if that's the code it's looking for.

It's in the "Plan and device" section near the bottom of the first tab.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

its not very good ransomware if it does not tell you how to pay the ransom ???

more likely someone has chosen the encrypt my data option in security settings, and forgotten to take careful notes

if desperate, call the guys who helped out the FBI with that terrorist iphone Smiley Happy

Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

AIUI this is a known hardware fault. The built in NAND flash memory is probably faulty or possibly just corrupted if you are lucky.

If it is just corrupt but not faulty then you might be able to re-flash the phone but all data will be lost, assuming you can successfully connect the phone to a computer.

If the memory is faulty then it likely won't connect and the only way to fix the phone is replace the mainboard. How old is the phone? If it's out of warranty then it's likely not an economic proposition to repair. If you bought it recently from Virgin then I would go after them for a replacement or at least a warranty repair.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos