Menu
OJS
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phone has a mind of its own

I bought a pay as you go Samsung Galaxy J3 on 16 May 2016. Up until beginning of Sept. everything was fine. Now it turns itself off and frequently decides that there is no SD card. Since yesterday the only way to start it is to remove the battery, put the battery back and then turn turn it on and hey ho it goes but for about 10 minutes still says that there is no SD card- oops then it finds the SD card.

I have taken it back to where I bought it which is about 30 miles away all they would do was to send it back to you and I would have to go back to collect it when it was done, something that I find difficult. I've been to a nearer branch but they could not care less.

Any ideas as to how to sort this?

OJS

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone has a mind of its own

Have you tried contacting Samsung direct? This forum is littered with horror stories about Virgin's "repair" department.

If possible, got photos of the phone before it goes in the returns bag and screenshots of the problem before you send it back.

0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried running the phone with the microSD card removed?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi OJS,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry that your Samsung J3 is having problems recognising the microSD card. 

Just a few things to check on this:

Can you try a different microSD card to see if you have the same issue (or alternatively try the current microSD card in another handset to see if the same problem occurs).

Some reports online with this issue state that formatting the SD card helped--but this wasn't the case for everyone reporting the issue, but you could try this (just make sure to save your data on the card elsewhere so that you can put it back on after formatting). With this option, I can't guarantee that this will work.

If your J3 is a Virgin Mobile handset, then give us a call on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone) or 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline) to speak to our Mobile Tech team and we can go through further diagnostics for you and if the phone requires a repair, then we can arrange this with you over the phone.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
OJS
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think this is where I'll have to go.
Thankyou
0 Kudos
OJS
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes-still turns itself off.
0 Kudos
OJS
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have tried without sd card and with new sd card but it still turns itself off, when I turn it back on tells me no sd card-then a few minutes later it recognises the sd card.

Will phone Virgin when I get a chance.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This could be just a software glitch, remove your SD card, ensure your have backed up your contacts, emails and such to your gmail account then go into settings, back up and reset or similar, and then reset the phone, if you call into the call centre they will ask you to do this anyway
0 Kudos