Menu
swyftie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phone Locked By Virgin Mobile Rescue

I was pretty much pushed into installing this app to both of my mobile devices by Virgin and am now regretting it.

Since the last update on Android, both mine and my wife's handsets (both contracts in my name) lock regularly, with a message that practically accuses us of being phone thieves!

Today, my wife's phone went one step further, it locked her out at the worst time possible and would not let her back in at all, in fact it is still locked now. The 4 pin code wouldn't work, the mothers maiden name (alternative log in) wouldn't work and not even logging in online and selecting the 'unlock' option will do anything to get the piece of crap operating again.

This occurred during a minor family emergency, leaving my wife stranded, unable to call anybody or even access her phone book, leaving her to walk for almost two hours by herself to get back home.

In that time a large amount of avoidable stress and upset was caused as she failed to collect our kids from school causing the school to call me...this is appalling.

I have tried calling 150 (from my phone as the other is still locked out) on more than one occasion but the operator keeps saying they'll put me through to the technical department who cut me off without speaking to me at all!!! So I am stuck with one handset that keeps locking but does let me back in after a short spell, and one that is of no use whatsoever and Virgin technical support are failing to assist.

Don't really know where to go from here, if Virgin won't help me with a Virgin app on a Virgin mobile contract, where do I escalate the problem to?!!!

0 Kudos
candy1567
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone Locked By Virgin Mobile Rescue

I had this problem on my phone and was transferred to a dedicated mobile rescue team

Spoke to a really nice guy who guided me through the unlocking process and after 5 mins it was sorted.

I then had the great pleasure of deleting this app as its more trouble than its worth,yeah i know ur not supposed to lol

0845 604 8846  think thats the number for mobile rescue, give it a try or phone customer service if its not

Good luck

Juliex

0 Kudos
swyftie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just spotted this message, the thing I'm not entirely happy about regarding this dedicated team...is that it's a third party company. My argument is that my contract and service is with Virgin and I did not agree for my personal details to be passed onto any other company...which they clearly do when you install this app without making it particularly clear that they're doing do. 

Anyhow, I have discovered, to my advantage, that this app is fundamentally flawed and very easy to bypass if you have a bit of a play with your phone once it locks...so I have now, without any passwords or customer service managed to remove the app from my phone. 

I am am also pretty sure that if it can be done by me...every phone thief already knows how to get around this too...so pointless app really.

a new question for Virgin to not answer on here, if my phone was stolen and the app then uninstalled...would I actually still be insured? Conditions, if I remember correctly are that you're only insured if app is used....but thieves can remove this app very easily?!!!!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

These sort of programs have a fine balance to maintain. How do you keep the handset usable while protecting from malicious intent?

Mobile rescue is a truly awful app. However, its installation is a condition of the free insurance (and possibly the new paid-for insurance with Freestyle contracts) so no matter how bad it is, if you want cover for loss or theft, it has to be there, even though the finder or thief can easily remove it.

Lookout is a far better alternative from the users' perspective, but it is still not perfect. If you don't have an unlock PIN or gesture defined, it can be easily uninstalled before the SIM is changed, meaning you have no way to lock the handset remotely.

mikeed
Just joined
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My phone locked but called 150 from land line and got two very helpful operators who sorted problem in a couple of mins ... so there are some good guys out there.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

mikeed wrote:
My phone locked but called 150 from land line and got two very helpful operators who sorted problem in a couple of mins ... so there are some good guys out there.

This is a very old thread.

Mobile Rescue is no longer supported or needed. If it's installed on your handset, your should remove it.

0 Kudos