Menu
AccyAlec
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Pay sim only for 3 months to get mobile contract?

Hi

I applied for a mobile iPhone 7 plus via the Virgin Mobile website.

The credit check passed and Virgin Mobile rang me back and said that I'm currently at a credit score of level 2 but need to be level 3 in order to be able to get this particular mobile.

The lady on the phone put me into a sim rolling 30 day contract and said that if I pay this for three consecutive months and then ring up I would be able to upgrade.

It all just seems a little fishy and I'm worried after three or months of paying for a sim I'm not able to use that they will turn around and say no we don't do such things?

Has any one else experienced anything like this? I've not fallen hook like and sinker to increase this lady's sim only quota have I?

All help appreciated,
Alec
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pay sim only for 3 months to get mobile contract?

Hi AccyAlec,

unfortunately this seems to be a misguided sales tactic which crops up too often on this forum.

As you suspect, having made three payments will not assure you of passing Virgin's criteria for a handset loan.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
AccyAlec
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pay sim only for 3 months to get mobile contract?

Hey AlexKid, thanks for the reply.

If it crops up, that means it happens often which needs to be dealt with by Virgin and their sales standards practice team.

The lady on the phone assured me that the "team" are aware of people with low credit score and this was a Virgin initiative to get people with low credit score and help them build it back up with Virgin.

Seems like misselling contracts to me. If I do struggle to get an upgrade down the line, I'd have a sour taste in my mouth. It's a shame really as I have broadband, tv and home phone with Virgin since the days of NTL and have been in my opinion a fab customer lol. Just wish they would judge me on my 10+ years of custom and not an experian credit score :/
0 Kudos