Menu
Paulmac07
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Password v Security Question

Why do Virgin operators ask for your password during security verification? In actual fact, they want the answer to your security question, (place of birth, pets name etc).

I wonder how many people have inadvertently given away their (secure) account password?

Get a grip Virgin, there is huge difference between asking someone for their password, or the answer to a security question, which is usually used to retrieve a forgotten password.

Paul

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: PAC number

Are you saying they ask for the password but are expecting you to answer with your cat's name (or whatever)?

0 Kudos
Paulmac07
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes. I've called them twice for support and on each occasion I was asked for my password. When I refused, they explained it was the answer to my security question they wanted.
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I really think you need get a clue on things work today.

You could be anyone calling up, the security answer proves it is you and they already have the answer in front of them on the PC screen.

Example :I can call up now and use my mums phone number (instead of account number) and address and DOB no problem but I will not know her security question answer.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

jhuk wrote:

...I can call up now and use my mums phone number (instead of account number) and address and DOB no problem but I will not know her security question answer.

I think you meant password, but otherwise you're exactly right.

A password is a quick way to prove that you are who you say you are to the person you're calling.

Your security questions help establish your identity enough to be able to reset your password if you forget. For anything longer term, they are relatively insecure because they do not change. You can have different passwords for each of Virgin, your bank, and the electricity company; but your mother's maiden name will be the same for all three.