As a last resort I'm posting here to see if anyone can help, as I seem to be getting no-where with customer services.
Parental Control suddenly became active on my account on Saturday without changing the setting on my account. I phoned 789 and was initially told to clear cache and restart my phone and if this wouldn't work I would have to send a copy of my birth certificate the Virgin. This didn't work so I phoned back and this time had someone guiding me through manually changing the APN settings for long time. This also didn't work so was told a technician would phone me later that day. No-one phoned back so I rang again on Sunday. Another long phone call this time checking my account and Chrome settings. Advised to install Dolphin browser and someone would call me back. I installed Dolphin which also didn't work and no-one phoned back. I phoned again later in the day. Was told that it hadn't been 24 hours since my first phone call, to clear cache and reboot my phone again. I phoned again on Monday and was told a technician would resolve this and I would get a call back within 48 hours. No one has contacted me. I have repeatedly cleared cache and restarted my phone but I am still blocked from websites.
I've phoned 789 five times over the last five days. It is very frustrating being given so many different reasons why this has happened and that no-one seems able to resolve this or contacted me when they say they will.
That is the first thing I did before calling 789. Parental controls was set to off on my account and it still is but I am still blocked from sites, which is why I have rang so many times. One member of staff was toggling this setting on and off on my account. They were unable to resolve this which is why they said it was being refereed to a technician. I have still not been contacted by anyone.
No-one contacted me, so I phoned again to ask why and was told it was because the setting was already off! However this now appears to have been resolved. I was told this is a common problem at the moment and it is a bug in the system. At least that is some form of explanation after so much hassle.