Menu
Irenejy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PAYG in Canada

We have a payg mobile contract on virgin and have used this in Europe many times successfully.

Now we will be visiting Canada later this year and need a 4G phone, so an upgrade is necessary. As it is cheaper to use a Canadian SIM over there than use our present one on the roaming tariff,  wonder if it is possible to obtain one on the PAYG which can then be ditched once we return home.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: PAYG in Canada

Irenejy wrote:

Thank you, Alexkid although I thought my question was quite clear.

I know it is possible to do as I've heard of others doing so. However, what I do not know, is how to go about it.  Do I have to wait till we're there in order to do so, or can I order one from the UK so it is ready to use on arrival?

Thank you

Hi Irenejy,

now I see the point of your question.

The Virgin Mobile brand is independently licensed in different countries.

Virgin Mobile UK is a separate company to Virgin Mobile Canada.

You will need to wait until you arrive in Canada then purchase a pay as you go SIM and top up once you are there.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Irenejy,

I don't quite understand your question here....

You want to buy a "local" PAYG SIM to use once you are in Canada?

Yes you can do this (provided that your phone is unlocked). Many people do as it is often cheaper.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Be careful phone frequencies are different in Canada

All networks in Canada curently support one or more of GSM / AWS / UMTS / HSDPA / LTE . North American GSM uses 850/1900 MHz , UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900Mhz, LTE 1700/2600, AWS 1700/2100 frequencies. Make sure your own phone is compatible with these frequencies.

GSM in the UK is 800/1800MHz UTMS/HSDPA is mainly 2100MHz and LTE 800/1800MHz (although some others are used)

Some phones will cover the Canadian Frequencies, many may not

0 Kudos
Irenejy
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but I have seen the use of LTE when checking out mobiles online.

However we will be checking out different phones early next week and will bear your comments in mind.

Thank you or replying.

0 Kudos
Irenejy
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We have to change our mobile phone as ours is not compatible with N. America.  And yes, rather than use the roaming charges at £1.50 per minute which Virgin charge on their PAYG SIM, compared to the CAN 5c per minute on their Canadian network, I do think it would be wiser, if I can, to obtain a 'local' SIM as it will be cheaper.

I know it is possible to do as I've heard of others doing so. However, what I do not know, is how to go about it.  Do I have to wait till we're there in order to do so, or can I order one from the UK so it is ready to use on arrival?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Irenejy wrote:

Thank you

Hi Irenejy,

now I see the point of your question.

The Virgin Mobile brand is independently licensed in different countries.

Virgin Mobile UK is a separate company to Virgin Mobile Canada.

You will need to wait until you arrive in Canada then purchase a pay as you go SIM and top up once you are there.