Menu
MugUK
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

PAC curiousities

I transferred from BT to Virgin Mobile (via the shop in Stockport) yesterday. BT switched off my connection this morning and put in the Virgin SIM. 

Expecting the transfer to have already taken place (as BT were so quick), I rang the other half this morning and she noticed it was the temporary number (as expected). That's OK, it will be transferred at some point today.

I am using a WileyFox Storm phone, running on Android 6.x (well, Cyanogen's version of Android) and I've noticed a few oddities since my transferred number seems to have moved across.

a) The Virgin Mobile account app shows that the account is linked to my transferred number. However, the phone number associated with the SIM in my Android settings still shows the temporary number that was on the Virgin SIM packaging.

b) I can ring my phone from my work landline and it gets through on the transferred number. I have also done a few test outgoing calls and my transferred number is showing up, so that's all good too.

But how is this possible if the SIM is still showing that I'm supposedly using the temporary number?

(I'll wait for a few days before re-checking the Virgin WiFi app as that seems to be a bit slower on the uptake according to other posts I've read on here).

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: PAC curiousities

Some phones will always show the original number of the SIM. My Samsung S5 does and the transfer was a year ago.

In the past there were phones that allowed you to edit the number on the SIM, not sure if there are any around today, someone may enlighten me.

MugUK
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ah right, fair enough. I'll give it a few days to settle down and then just ignore it if it never changes.

WileyFox are due to upgrade everyone to Android 7 due to the demise of Cyanogen, so maybe there might be a patch included within to get it recognise the correct number (if it's an Android bug in the first place).

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The phone number shown in Android on a phone gets confused very easily :-)

With my upgrade to a 4g SIM in December with the same phone number was enough to confuse mine, it went from showing the correct number - but now shows the phone number as unknown.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
MugUK
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin WiFi app is now working, so it's all coming along bit by bit.

However, the number listed against the SIM in Android's settings is still showing the temporary number, but so long as the apps recognise my actual number, then so be it. The phone works, so that suits me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos