Menu
Tilly55
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Overcharged!

My tariff is £12 a month, yet this month there's an additional charge of £14 for 'picture messages'. I only ever send photos on Whats App, which are free. There's also a charge of 30p for an 'international text'. I have never sent an 'international text'. It now appears this has been going on since I got my new phone in July, & on checking I have paid in total an extra £80 - £90 in extra charges for 'picture messages'. I never send pics by text, I send them on Whats App. I've already been reading up about rules of fair trading on Ofcom & am now at the point of making a complaint. Please do not give me a telephone number, as each time I've contacted Virgin by telephone it's taken the best part of an hour, & I really haven't the time...
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Overcharged!

Hi Tilly55,

a lot of phones send SMS (text messages) as MMS (Picture messages) if they go over the letter limit. – Could this be the problem here?

Depending on the phone you have it might be possible to turn this off so large messages do not send as MMS.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tilly55,

a lot of phones send SMS (text messages) as MMS (Picture messages) if they go over the letter limit. – Could this be the problem here?

Depending on the phone you have it might be possible to turn this off so large messages do not send as MMS.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"Picture messages" is a lazy way of saying MMS.

MMS messages are created when you send long texts, texts to many recipients, or texts that contain file attachments such as contact cards, audio, nonstandard emoticons or photos.

A "long" text is one that goes on for a specific number of SMS messages. On my handset it's three SMSs before the automatic conversion to MMS happens. I've heard some people say that their handset converts once you hit the maximum character limit for a single MMS. This is usually 160 characters but on some setups it is 70 characters - the first sentence in this paragraph is longer than that.

In most countries you don't get charged for MMS. As far as I'm aware, all UK carriers charge directly or indirectly for MMS. It's usually 40p.

The creation of an MMS message is quite literally in your hands. You and your handset decide when to turn a message into MMS. The easiest way to fix it is to install an alternative messaging app on your handset. You may be able to get some or all of your money back on the grounds that they are labelling the charge a picture message, when you say that's not what you sent, but if I were in your position I'd consider myself lucky if I got a 50% refund.

Tilly55
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh really, I have unlimited texts but didn't realise there was a letter limit.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at my phone.

Thanks for your help AlexKid Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi tilly55

160 characters for 1 SMS

480 characters is normally the character limit to convert to MMS

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

Tilly55
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you...I'm going to try & fathom out how to put on an alert when I'm getting up to my limit. I quite often send group texts to family, & use emoticons, so guess I'll have to stop doing that. I thought unlimited texts meant just that, unlimited texts, & didn't think Virgin were so sneaky! Anyway, many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Tilly55
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've never knowingly used mms, but sometimes send group texts to family, & use emoticons, guess I'll have to stop doing that. I never send photos with texts, I used Whats App for that, which I think I'm right in saying they are free to send, think I might use Whats App for everything from now on! I've been with virgin a very long time, & I now realise this has happened since I got my new phone in July last year, & I've paid in total an extra £70 - £80!. No one warned me of these hidden costs which are easily doubling my monthly bill. I think it's underhand. I didn't even realise there was a limit for the number of characters allowed in a text, I thought 'unlimited texts' meant just that, 'unlimited texts', & no-one told me any different when I upgraded my phone.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

emoticons, emojois, over 480 characters , use the good old : ) style and your fine, its standard symbols and standard text. no additions

it is unlimited SMS messages. not picture message Smiley Wink 2 separate things Smiley Happy

use WhatsApp Smiley Happy Free for life now Smiley Happy

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Tilly55
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you..... It's not easy to understand at all is it...! especially not for people over the age of 60..! (well, only just..!). I think I'm going to stick with Whats App as much as I can from now on. Virgin certainly didn't warn me of any extra hidden charges, I thought unlimited meant unlimited & didn't realise my phone would automatically change my messages to something Virgin could charge me for, very sneaky in my opinion, which is why I've also been in touch with Ofcom for advice ;-) & I don't really know the difference between standard & non standard emojis or whatever they're called....I've noticed on this months bill I've been charged for an "international text"..I haven't a clue what that is..!

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your welcome As you can see I put a lot of smiley faces in my messages to haha Smiley Happy

habit I guess Smiley Very Happy

Ive always recommend whatsapp as you can send your pictures smiley faces, call on it . Its amazing !

technically picture messages are classed as a multimedia media messaging but you get just unlimited messages

standard smileys are : P , : ) . : D . xD sort of thing where its just the colon and the bracket ,

emojies or emoticons are like Smiley Very Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Tongue Smiley Sad Smiley Surprised , where an images appears for the smiley Smiley Happy

as for the international text. Where is it to? what does the number start with , do you send emails via text ?

0 Kudos