Menu
dobbywoo
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Once again I have no roaming

I visited Spain in May and my phone refused to roam. I checked with Virgin when I returned and they confirmed that roaming was enabled, but suggested I check again before I next travelled. I did this on Saturday and was told it was ok, but guess what? I'm now in France and totally unable to get a signal, despite checking my settings, rebooting my phone, manually selecting a carrier. This is totally rubbish, and the first thing I'm going to do when I get back is switch providers. I'm really disappointed in Virgin
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Once again I have no roaming

Hi Dobbywoo,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're unable to roam in France. I want to get this all sorted for you as soon as possible. Are you able to log in to your online account here and turn roaming on and off in the Manage services section? Once this is done, reboot your phone.

Give this a whirl and let me know how it all goes. I'm here if you need me.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
dobbywoo
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I did that (l presume you meant switch the roaming off & on rather than the other way around?) and it made absolutely no difference. Having used various other service providers over the years and never having had any difficulties to roam, I fail to understand why this seems to be such a major problem for Virgin. I know I'm not the only one because I've seen the many other posts in this forum. I'm not getting at you Matt because I know it's not your fault, but this really is a rubbish service and lets Virgin down. I wonder how many customers you lose because of this?
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dobbywoo,

Thanks for trying that for me.

Are you able to call us on +447953967967 from any other phone so we can look into this further? Our team can ensure that we do everything possible to fix this.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
dobbywoo
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I didn't see this before I returned to the UK, but I didn't have another phone I could use anyway.

In any case it's not going to be a problem anymore now because I switched to 3 today.

Thanks for trying but I'd be obliged if you would report that I've left because of this. If enough of us leave, maybe it will galvanise Virgin into fixing it for everyone else.

Su
0 Kudos
Sue10
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How did you mange to leave Virgin was your contract up?  What phone have you got?

I tried CISAS the adjudicator to say that Virgin are not providing  the service customers should expect but lost so Virgin want me to pay off the next 16 months of my contract in full to leave!! So going to have to go with a reputable mobile phone provider with a pay as you go contract.......

virgin will lose out though as I will cancel my media contract when it comes to and end so they will lose £110 per month rather than letting me leave my £18 per month contract as their service abroad is none existent!! 

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

With due respect, VM can't even provide a decent signal in the UK, so there is no chance of getting ANYTHING abroad.

Check this forum for the horrific number of people omplaining of 'no roaming' and the poor attitude of VM to rectify this...

Stock bullpoo answers, 'try turning it on/off' 'wait 24 hours then try again' try accessing your account and switching it on/off from there' are really all just to fob you off, until you get home, where it's too late to do anything.

Then it happens again next time, despite their assurances it won't!!!

Basically, VM should be honest and admit IT CANNOT PROVIDE ROAMING, full stop...

0 Kudos
dobbywoo
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well luckily my contract was a 1 month rolling SIM only contract, so all I'll lose is one month's worth. I haven't cancelled it yet because when I rang 789 it seems they're not open a Sunday - convenient. I shall do it first thing tomorrow though, and then move to a 4G service that works!

Sorry you've not been so lucky Smiley Sad

Su

0 Kudos
dobbywoo
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I must say I agree. The signal in the UK was poor, even in London where you'd expect it to be good, but I'd learned to live with it. The roaming however is another thing altogether - it's totally rubbish and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it once you're away. You become uncontactable at the point where you might need it most.

So I'm happy that I've swapped, and with 3 you can use your UK allowance across (most of) Europe at no extra charge. What's not to like?!

0 Kudos