Menu
gus0898uk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

On my Hols in Thailand but no sms or mobile but have email

OK, I have just joined the forum as I am a dummy with Tech probs.

I am on my hols in Thailand and have roaming switched off on my Motorola Moto G because last year with roaming switched on I ran up a £35 bill within two days and I never even used the phone.

So I suppose I need roaming switched on but I only want bills for calls I make or recieve.

With my Moto G in Thailand I would like to see if anyone is trying to contact me by text or call. I am sure Smartcall first worked out here but that does not work now and when I try to get a new 4 number code the message disappears into cyberspace.

I am getting emails OK but I also have my laptop with me anyway, also I have a 1G Thai mobile to make calls home as required.

FWIW The Moto G is difficult to remove the battery from as there are about 14 self tapping screws and I didn't bring any screwdrivers with me. Smiley Happy    TIA

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: On my Hols in Thailand but no sms or mobile but have email

Hi Gus089UK

if you did disable the roaming service with Customer services then you would have to re-enable this for the sim to work abroad

If you Pay Monthly call +447953 967 967. Calls will cost the same as the standard call rate for the region you're in. For more information about using your phone in the European Union call +447953 967 202.

If you have SmartCall then this would be the best option if you didnt want to run up a bill. The charges are

Costs

Making a Call
£2.00 (per minute)

Recieving a Call
£1.00 (per minute)

Sending an SMS
30p

Sending an MMS
40p

Data
£5.00 (per MB)

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
gus0898uk
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the speedy reply Lee, I am on pay monthly with my VM mobile. I originally said I was not very bright on these matters, Smiley Happy if I ring VM and activate the raoming am I leaving myself open to running up a £35 bill and not even making or receiving a call?

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gus0898UK

if you ring Virgin Mobile we will activate the service for you. You are not really leaving yourself open for a bill. You would only incur a bill if you used the phone or recieved a call . Text messages are free to recieve.

If in doubt switch it off . Then you cant be charged ( as long as voicemail is off! ). if you need to use it then you can switch it on Smiley Happy

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

0 Kudos
gus0898uk
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Lee_B

Thanks for taking the time to help. I will give VM a call but it will probably be tomorrow now, time to go out. Smiley Happy

The switching the phone off kind of defeats the object as I just need to know if anyone is trying to contact me so I can ring them back on my Thai number.

Once again thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Our customer service teams are open  24 hours so by al means ring when ever you are ready

if you have a smart phone and you can connect to a WIFI hotspot in Thailand. I would try the app "WhatsApp"  you can send and receive messages and also make phone calls as well . If you want others to ring u then they can through the app

ONLY use it on WIFI and not on the mobile network . It will be very expensive to do it over the mobile network

have a nice time!

0 Kudos