Menu
iang46
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not receiving texts

I live in Nailsworth, Glos. For the last few days I've been unable to receive texts in my home location. If I drive a few miles away from home, the texts all start to arrive. I have good signal strength, can make and receive telephone calls and can send texts. I suspect a fault with my local repeater station. Tried speaking to Virgin Media help - the words 'teapot' and 'chocolate' come to mind!  Does this ring a bell with anyone, please?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Not receiving texts

Hi iang46,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble receiving text message when at home in Nailsworth. This is obviously frustrating as you can do everything else with the phone.

I've checked the area and can't see any problems reported within the last 7 days. I've also checked the local masts and they show as working fine.

When did you contact us?

What was discussed on the call?

When you send a text, does the other person receive it quickly?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi iang46,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble receiving text message when at home in Nailsworth. This is obviously frustrating as you can do everything else with the phone.

I've checked the area and can't see any problems reported within the last 7 days. I've also checked the local masts and they show as working fine.

When did you contact us?

What was discussed on the call?

When you send a text, does the other person receive it quickly?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
iang46
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Rich - thanks for getting back to me.

On Wed 5 Aug I sent and received several texts successfully from home.

On Thursday 6 Aug I received some texts and sent some successfully.  Still at home.

On Friday, I left home, but after I'd driven about 3 miles, my phone started to inform me that new texts had arrived.  About 6 came, most had been sent the day before.

On Saturday I stayed home and received no texts.

On Sunday 9 Aug I went out and again, having driven a few miles, received 2 texts sent the day before.  I called 781.  The lady I spoke to didn't seem to be very knowledgeable and was clearly reading from a script, which was based upon diagnosing problems with my phone, which was manifestly not at fault.  During the course of my conversation with her, I noticed my signal strength varying wildly, from full strength to 1 or 2 bars.  That's ridiculous, as I live about 200m away from and in full sight of my local relay tower.  The operator did tell me to send myself a text from my landline, which I did and received it successfully, so assumed that she'd done something to correct matters.  Except that I learnt later  that texts had been sent to me but I hadn't received them, so that's when I made my first post.

Also on Sunday, or maybe Monday, I sent 2 texts to the same person, about 2 hours apart.  The 2nd was received within minutes, but the 1st arrived at the same time.

On Tuesday I received a landline call from someone who had earlier left me a voicemail message.  I had received neither a ring signal nor notification of voicemail waiting (until later, when I again left my area).  Therefore I dialled 781 again, but this time, instead of asking for help, I reported a fault.  That call was answered speedily and efficiently.  On the same day I mislaid my mobile so dialled its number from the landline.  Straight to voicemail. Clearly, I was not now receiving incoming calls, though I could still dial out.

Yesterday I tried my mobile again from landline.  Straight to voicemail.

This morning I successfully called my mobile from landline.  Shortly after that I received the voicemail I sent yesterday, then a text which had been sent also yesterday.  Then I received another text which had been sent today.  I also have full signal strength.

So it does appear that the fault - which clearly was an equipment problem of some kind - has now been cleared.  I suspect you know my post code, and I don't want to publish it on this public forum, but if you do need it I'll happily supply it privately

Best regards, Ian

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

Thanks for keeping me updated.

I'm really pleased to hear the problem has now been rectified. I'd keep a close eye on things over the next days.

Please let me know if you have any further issues.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos