I live in Nailsworth, Glos. For the last few days I've been unable to receive texts in my home location. If I drive a few miles away from home, the texts all start to arrive. I have good signal strength, can make and receive telephone calls and can send texts. I suspect a fault with my local repeater station. Tried speaking to Virgin Media help - the words 'teapot' and 'chocolate' come to mind! Does this ring a bell with anyone, please?
On Wed 5 Aug I sent and received several texts successfully from home.
On Thursday 6 Aug I received some texts and sent some successfully. Still at home.
On Friday, I left home, but after I'd driven about 3 miles, my phone started to inform me that new texts had arrived. About 6 came, most had been sent the day before.
On Saturday I stayed home and received no texts.
On Sunday 9 Aug I went out and again, having driven a few miles, received 2 texts sent the day before. I called 781. The lady I spoke to didn't seem to be very knowledgeable and was clearly reading from a script, which was based upon diagnosing problems with my phone, which was manifestly not at fault. During the course of my conversation with her, I noticed my signal strength varying wildly, from full strength to 1 or 2 bars. That's ridiculous, as I live about 200m away from and in full sight of my local relay tower. The operator did tell me to send myself a text from my landline, which I did and received it successfully, so assumed that she'd done something to correct matters. Except that I learnt later that texts had been sent to me but I hadn't received them, so that's when I made my first post.
Also on Sunday, or maybe Monday, I sent 2 texts to the same person, about 2 hours apart. The 2nd was received within minutes, but the 1st arrived at the same time.
On Tuesday I received a landline call from someone who had earlier left me a voicemail message. I had received neither a ring signal nor notification of voicemail waiting (until later, when I again left my area). Therefore I dialled 781 again, but this time, instead of asking for help, I reported a fault. That call was answered speedily and efficiently. On the same day I mislaid my mobile so dialled its number from the landline. Straight to voicemail. Clearly, I was not now receiving incoming calls, though I could still dial out.
Yesterday I tried my mobile again from landline. Straight to voicemail.
This morning I successfully called my mobile from landline. Shortly after that I received the voicemail I sent yesterday, then a text which had been sent also yesterday. Then I received another text which had been sent today. I also have full signal strength.
So it does appear that the fault - which clearly was an equipment problem of some kind - has now been cleared. I suspect you know my post code, and I don't want to publish it on this public forum, but if you do need it I'll happily supply it privately