Menu
DeanoJW
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Not receiving texts from South Africa

Hi there

I am a VIP Virgin Media subscriber, so enjoy the "full monthy" of TV, broadband, phone and mobile services you offer. So far, I have had superb customer service and enjoyed what you have to offer me and my family.

I am hoping you can help me with a descrepancy that has been occuring for the last few months, but I haven't had time to report it yet. Here goes:

Over the last few months, I have been unable to receive texts from South Africa. Up until then, I have had no problems sending or receiving any texts. I believe that Vodacom and MTN in SA have said that it has nothing to do with their services. All the numbers and codes of all recipients are correct and have my correct number as well.

This disruption has occured on both my old mobile (Sony Ericsson, non-SMART phone with normal sim card), as well as my Motorola Moto G Android, with sim-free micro-sim card.)

I have tried rebooting, taking sim out and inserting again, checking the Message Centre Number is correct etc etc etc, but nothing has helped. I heard that turning WIFI off on the phone could help, but not sure if this is true?

I have phoned the Virgin Customer Services and they have a voicemail message stating that they are aware of texting issues and that they are working on it. (but this has been going on for months with me now!).

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Dean

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not receiving texts from South Africa

Hi DeanoJW

Sorry to hear you've had some issues receiving texts from South Africa.

Could you confirm if you are having this issue when any South Africa number sends you a message, or is it any number? Have you noticed it on a particular South African network or is it all of them?

Do you know anyone else on Virgin Mobile and other networks? Could you confirm if they're also having this issue (to help us establish if the fault is specific to your account or our network).

Also, are you able to text them and do they receive them okay?

If you could let us know this information, we'll be happy to assist further Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
DeanoJW
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark_Y

Please find the answers to your questions below:

Could you confirm if you are having this issue when any South Africa number sends you a message, or is it any number?

I do not receive texts from any number/provider from South Africa. I DO receive texts from any mobile number from the UK.

Have you noticed it on a particular South African network or is it all of them?

All of them

Do you know anyone else on Virgin Mobile and other networks?

Yes I do

Could you confirm if they're also having this issue (to help us establish if the fault is specific to your account or our network).

Only people on Virgin Media/mobile are having problems

Also, are you able to text them and do they receive them okay?

Yes, I am able to text them and they receive them

Other information:

I am able to text them from an 02 pay-as-you-go mobile phone, which they receive and can send texts back to me, which I can read. So, the issue lies with Virgin and not other network providers.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi DeanoJW

Thanks for getting back in touch with that information.

I've sent you a PM so we can take a closer look into this for you and get you some help with this - just reply to the PM if you have any questions Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
DeanoJW
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Done.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi DeanoJW

Thanks for sending that over Smiley Happy

We'll be in touch shortly to get you some help with this.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

0 Kudos
DeanoJW
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark_Y

Hope all is well with you? I was listening to the song "Is there anybody out there" by Pink Floyd yesterday, which suddenly jolted my memory to follow up with you about the text issue to and from South Africa Smiley Happy

I'm seeing quite a few issues in several trends around this, so thought I'd ask again if there has been any progress with my initial query on the 29th August and follow up on the 1st September?

I was expected be contacted by Monday this week (according to Katy_Y), but it is with great sadness that I report that this has not occurred. Perhaps issues with international texts need a more senior “techie” on the case or perhaps you may want to consider outsourcing the problems to 02, they may be able to shed some light on this? “Evry little elps”, so Tesco say.

Either way, I have saved some money by NOT texting to South Africa, but it is little consolation to all the loved ones there, who await eagerly to hear from me each and every day. I guess they will have to wait a little longer...

I'll PM Katy_Y as well, so she doesn't feel I'm ignoring her...

Best wishes

0 Kudos
DeanoJW
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That would be Katy_F...all these abbreviations confuse me, apologies...

0 Kudos
DeanoJW
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Nope, wrong again...Kath_F!! Got it...

0 Kudos
Sasshaw
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem as DenoJW. My birth Dad is in Pennington near Durban in South Africa and we keep in touch by SMS messages or sometimes Skype. He is able to receive my SMS messages and I can phone him (too expensive though) he can reply to sms to O2 phone which arrive as expected. So it looks like it is a Virgin media problem.

Please can you help me get the text messages back up and running. I thought he was ignoring me for a while there.

With kind regards
Sas
0 Kudos