Menu
GeoffG16
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Non receipt of texts from abroad

I don't receive texts from my son in Denmark but he receives mine. We can call both ways with no problem. I don't have an I-phone but he does. I receive and send texts to I-phones in the UK with no problem.

Any suggestions on a solution gratefully received!

0 Kudos
GeoffG16
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Non receipt of texts from abroad

More info Re my original topic -

My son and daughter (living in Denmark and UK respectively) compared their I-phone settings when we met up recently and couldn't find any differences.  I can't find any settings on my Samsung E2330 phone that could cause this.  But I still don't receive any texts from Denmark!  Is there any possible reason that anyone can suggest?  Please?  Could it be a fault on my sim card?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi GeoffG16

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting on the forums. I'm sorry for the difficulties you're having there, has it always been like this or has it only started happening recently?

It's worth checking but is your number showing with the correct international prefix on your their phones when they text you? Are the messages showing as sent on their handsets? Can you receive calls from them at all?

Apologies for all the questions I just want to get to the bottom of this as soon as I can for you.

Kind regards.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
GeoffG16
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, Dave.

It started about 3 months ago when occasional texts went missing, then nothing came through in the last couple of months.  No known changes in my Son's phone at the time.  We can call each other with no problem so the country code is OK. Texts look as if they get through as far as his phone is concerned, and my delivery reports show my texts are sent ok.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Geoff

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey Geoff

Thanks for getting back in touch with me. That certainly does sound like the messages are getting through which is certainly strange. Do his delivery reports indicate that his messages are sent too? Are there any text blocking features enabled on either of the handsets concerned?

Many thanks for your patience whilst we look into this.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
GeoffG16
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Can't find any options on my phone at all for blocking texts - and it's my phone that's not receiving them. His phone indicates the texts are being sent to me.

A mystery!

Could this be caused by a faulty sim or handset? I've had both for a few years.

Regards,

Geoff

0 Kudos
GeoffG16
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

More info - Sending texts to another non-iPhone on a different network in the UK from my son's iPhone in Denmark also doesn't work!

So it doesn't look like a Virgin Media issue after all!

Thanks fro your time but it's still a mystery!

Geoff

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There is a setting on an iPhone, and iPads, under messages to toggle iMessage on/off. On the iPhone try setting this to off and then sending the text. It looks like the iPhone is trying to send the message as an iMessage not a normal one and it is thinking your phone is an Apple one. On the Messages app on the iPhone it does give details of the message when it is sent ok and if it is an iMessage also give you when it is read.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
GeoffG16
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tudor,  We'll try that and see if it helps.

Geoff

0 Kudos
GeoffG16
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My son's texts are now randomly not getting through to other non-iPhone mobiles, so the problem is definitely at the "sending" end.  It's his business phone so he's going to get his firm's tech dept to investigate. If we ever get a resolution to this weird situation, I'll post it here.

Meanwhile, thanks to Dave and Tudor for your suggestions!

0 Kudos