Menu
badoit
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Non-Virgin supplied phone on SIM only?

I have been with Virgin Mobile for 8 years originally on PAYG but when I got my latest phone (ZTE Blade 3) a couple of years ago I switched to a 30 day rolling SIM only contract. Now I am thinking of a new phone. If I buy non-Virgin-supplied phone can I just shove the Virgin SIM in the new phone and start using it? I quite like the look of the Wileyfox Swift. What if it uses those modern tiny SIMs? (Does anybody know? The web site just says "dual SIM") Would Virgin move my number to a little SIM? Are they going to be peeved I didn't buy the phone from them?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
ericos
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Non-Virgin supplied phone on SIM only?

I cant see it being a problem, it is a  sim only contract so you should be free to use any phone you want. As for the size of sim if its different size then just contact them & ask for the size sim you want with your number. I did this earlier this year and the procedure was something like, when new sim arrives text "ready" from your old phone to a numder they will give you, they will then deactivate the old  sim & shortly after the new sim in the new phone will be activated

photo speedtest.png
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The phone you want uses one or two micro SIMs while the ZTE blade uses a mini SIM. If you look at the SIM you have already, you might see a pre-cutout line around the contacts - if it's there you should just be able to push out the micro SIM shape from your existing mini SIM.

Virgin really don't care if you use someone else's handset, but they don't support it on the forum unless it's one that's available in their store.

All Replies
ericos
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I cant see it being a problem, it is a  sim only contract so you should be free to use any phone you want. As for the size of sim if its different size then just contact them & ask for the size sim you want with your number. I did this earlier this year and the procedure was something like, when new sim arrives text "ready" from your old phone to a numder they will give you, they will then deactivate the old  sim & shortly after the new sim in the new phone will be activated

photo speedtest.png
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The phone you want uses one or two micro SIMs while the ZTE blade uses a mini SIM. If you look at the SIM you have already, you might see a pre-cutout line around the contacts - if it's there you should just be able to push out the micro SIM shape from your existing mini SIM.

Virgin really don't care if you use someone else's handset, but they don't support it on the forum unless it's one that's available in their store.

badoit
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for both answers. The SIM in my ZTE does not appear to have any cuts for pressing out a micro SIM. I have seen guides on the Web which involve rulers, marker pens and sharp knives, but I am not planning to do that.

0 Kudos