Menu
Colinhp
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No signal from home

Hello, the available mobile signal indicator on the Virgin site says I should have 98% 4G. In reality I have zero or minimal signal for anything. I cannot use my mobile to make calls from my home. I do not have this problem with an O2 mobile. Please can you help as I have just downgraded my landline package so I could use my new Virgin mobile from home, based on the information on the website. Presumptive, I know!

Thank you, Colin

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No signal from home

What is the 3G and 2G signal like as you can't make calls over 4G on Virgin.

Also check here to see if there is a problem. https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

0 Kudos
Colinhp
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello, thank you for the response. There are two of us in the house, each with new phones from Virgin (Sony Xperia e5). We are unable to make any calls on any 'g'. We have altered settings in regards to the mobile setting to no avail. My 'old' O2 works phone is fine and has a 'good' signal. It is sometimes erratic though never has 'no signal'.

No issues on the 'checker by the way.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colinhp,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to see you are having trouble getting a signal at home.

Is the coverage any better for you both when you leave the house?

I am concerned that our network may not be penetrating your home too well which will likely result difficulties using the phone indoors.

If you set your network mode to WCDMA Only (or 3G only, it may say) and then perform another search, is there any change?

What about on GSM only (or 2G)?

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Colinhp
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello, thank you for your ideas.

If I have the preferred network setting as: GSM  - I get one bar and manage to make a call.

If I have the setting as: 4G (preferred)/WCDMA/GSM - I get no signal and dialing a number won't connect.

If I have it as: WCDMA (preferred)/GSM -  I get no signal and dialing a number won't connect.

If I have it as: WCDMA -  get no signal and dialing a number won't connect.

Will this mean having to change the settings every time I leave my home so I can make a call or is there a way around this?

Thank you, Colin

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If your phone works well elsewhere then it looks likely that it is a signal problem in your house. The reason for that could be one of a number of things.

I have problems with weak signal on all networks inside, but full bars in the garden, although all of them say Vgood indoor and outdoor coverage. I'm fortunate as I have voice over wifi with my provider.

You could try another phone or get someone on Virgin or EE to try things out at your home.

0 Kudos
drumsticks
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Lucky you don't live where I do? Little Thurrock, Grays, Essex. Since moving here some time back, the reception is atrocious. Seens no matter what network me and my family use, makes no difference. Vodafone, EE, O2, all the same. Signal weak causing conversation to break up and become understandable. So where I have my free minutes on Virgin, they can't be used at home. Have to revert to using Virgin landline where calls are charged. Resulting in a high monthly charge.....
0 Kudos