Menu
Skywalker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No service in Spain

I've had this same problem TWICE this year in Spain: April in Nerja and July in Alcudia. Can someone please explain WHY this is happening, and what about the 3 weeks payments I've made when I didn't get ANY service?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: No service in Spain

Hi Skywalker,

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear you've had trouble using your phone in Spain.

You'll need to check whether roaming is enabled on your account. If you're on pay monthly this is automatically switched off to avoid any unwanted charges.

You can now enable this via your online account. Please click here to log in and follow these steps:-
Online account > Plan and device > Manage services > Going abroad

If it shows it's turned on then it'd be worth resetting it as it may not be live on EE's platform. When you turn if off you'll be presented with a green message. You'll need to wait 2-24 hours for this to be successful. Then you repeat the process to turn it back on again waiting a further 2-24 hours.

If you're having any difficulties with this please contact the team on 789 from a Virgin Mobile handset of 0345 6000 789 from any other phone.

Hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Skywalker
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rich_B,

I've switched roaming off and I'll wait 24 hours before turning it on again.

How will I know if I'll definitely have a service next time I go abroad (in September)?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi skywalker,

Thanks for messaging back, Richard isn't here at the moment so I've picked up on this for you.

Firstly I would like to fins out if the roaming issues were resolved when you switched it off and back on?

In regards to your question about roaming when you go away in September, I would ensure that you turn roaming on 2-24 hours before you are due to leave, just to be on the safe side. If you do encounter any problems then drop us a post back here and we'll be more than happy to take another look and see if we can get it escalated.

Best wishes, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Skywalker
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me Adam.

I've gone through the procedure of switching roaming off then back on again, leaving at least 24 hours in between. In my Virgin Mobile online account, roaming is shown as on, but it was ON before I went to Spain 3 weeks ago and I had no phone service.

I don't know if the roaming issue is resolved because I'm now in the UK, and won't be in Spain again until September, so:

Q: How can I be sure that I will have a service abroad?

Richard spoke about being "live on EE's platform".

Q: How will I know that? There's no mention of EE in my online account page, and no entry for EE in the Available Networks section on my phone.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Skywalker,

Thanks for coming back to us with your concerns.

In regards to the question how will you be sure it's working when you go away in September, I would suggest a day or two before you are due to leave that you give our customer service a call on 789 from a Virgin mobile, or 0345 6000 789 from any other line.

Our team will be able to check a back end system to see whether or not this is active.

Best Wishes,

Thanks,

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Skywalker
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

I'm grateful to you for getting back to me, but I'm not at all re-assured by your answer.

Q. What exactly is wrong with your systems? In spite of the fact that I have switched on roaming more than once, you still think that I will need to check later in the year to see whether it is active or not.

Q. What exactly is preventing it being active from the moment is switch it on?

Q. Why would you, speaking for the company, be unsure about its current and continuing status?

I'm seriously considering making a complaint on this issue, so I would really appreciate definite answers to these questions,instead of general advice.

I will understand if you need to escalate this enquiry, but I would like to be kept informed of any action taken.

0 Kudos
Skywalker
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is anyone going to have the decency to respond to these important questions?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Skywalker,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry you haven't had a reply yet.

On this occasion it appears the roaming setting isn't enabled on EE's platform. When you switch roaming on it usually takes 2-24 hours to go live. The reason I say this is because your roaming was always switched on via your account but you could never connect.

The reset you have done is a suggestion I always make to people when they're abroad as it's a quick diagnostic step that can be done without a phone call. Sometimes it works for people and sometimes it doesn't.

There's no way of saying for definite if it will work before you go abroad. As you've experienced this twice previously then a call to our team would make absolutely certain this is active on our back end systems (which you can't see). I'd hate for you to go out in September and for it not to be working again.

Once it's active on our back end systems then you'll see no further issues. This is why we encourage everyone to ring in who is faced with this issue.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos